Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!
View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 83 11.16%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 21 2.82%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.54%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 556 74.73%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 80 10.75%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2010, 03:43 AM   #541
cmuench
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Wort,

You're right, I had the vol set wrong. 6.79 psi for 2.3 vol at 33 degrees. I should have bled it down to 23 psi at 65 degrees before I cooled.

I can't believe how long its taking to get to 33 degrees from 65. That's a lot of beer, I guess!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 04:43 AM   #542
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

OK, good. I was worried about the difference in numbers. I feel better now. Just set your valve to release once you get down to temperature at this point. Remember, it will take longer to de-gas cool versus warmer. That shouldn't be a problem, as you can always just take a little more time if needed to get it where you want it. Can't wait till you taste it.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 11-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #543
WortMonger

Recipes 

Can't wait to start shaking my keg tomorrow!!! I really wished I had started my stir-bar experiment for this batch to keep the yeast suspended for clean-up. This beer is getting me excited, as it smells wonderful when I was releasing the pressure. I plan on washing the us-05 for reuse later. I bet I do another lager after this batch though, but I haven't even pulled the one I have out of the lagering freezer yet. I have a ton of Munich, maybe I will try something along those lines with this yeast again. I kinda like having to dream up something interesting to do every now and then, lol.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:50 PM   #544
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default Rubber coated keg for fermentation???

I picked up another keg today. I was looking for a second fermenter to really boost my pipeline.

When I got there I found out it was rubber coated. Decided to take it. Any major issues with using it as a fermenter I don't have a fermentation freezer.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #545
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Shouldn't have any problem with that.
I've done the same. I plan on doing a primary of about 4 days in the temp controlled fermenter, then be able to pull in out and finish up at room temp, freeing up the temp chamber for another round.

Secondary

Kegged
BeeCave Haus Ale - 6%
Bells Two Hearted, round 2- 6.1%
SNPA Clone (Chilled )
Hard Lemonade

Shiraz - 6 gal

Old 11-14-2010, 12:37 AM   #546
WortMonger

Recipes 

Nope, no problem what-so-ever. They take a little longer to get down to temperature, but also take a little longer to get warm again. I prefer to use the SS ones for this reason. I like to use my black miller keg for serving. As a matter of fact, I try to use my worse keg for fermentation, and my best for serving. It won't matter though what kind of keg you use.

I am curious though why you are wanting to secondary? I get great clarity and better yeast byproduct cleanup from an extended primary. I actually plan on leaving this ale I am doing now on the yeast for 3 weeks (maybe 4) before transferring to my serving keg. The lager I have in my fermentation freezer has been in primary since September 25th. I am only asking because I wonder your thoughts on the need for secondary.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:42 AM   #547
WortMonger

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooyvilleLarry View Post
I've done the same. I plan on doing a primary of about 4 days in the temp controlled fermenter, then be able to pull in out and finish up at room temp, freeing up the temp chamber for another round.
I think that would work great! Lagers are the only thing giving my pipeline a problem, but if this last ale works out tasty with no flaws... that may end soon.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:40 AM   #548
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Default Not for secondary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooyvilleLarry View Post
Wort, it's not for a secondary. I'm looking to be able to brew more and so I want two primarys!

I'm considering a porter next, followed almost immediately by a simcoe IPA. I usually wind up drinking a fair amount of any 10 gallon batch by the time the next one is ready to go. So I'm looking to have more variety around. With two fermenters I can bring 20 gallons to tap at a time and I should be able to keep quite a variety of beer around, especially for holidays.

Gotta get my RIMS tube and control panel up and running this weekend. Hard to find the time. I have to drill another few holes and I usually don't get time until the kids are asleep. Bit of an issue with the noise right now.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 11-14-2010, 04:00 AM   #549
WortMonger

Recipes 

I'm losing it! I could have sworn I read you wanted a secondary, lol. Guess I need to read better, huh? Glad you are making the move to more beer in the pipeline! Will you be doing room temperature ferments, or do you have the controlled temperature space? Man I wish I did, but this RT thing with pressure might just work out. I just released some more over-pressure from the primary and smelled it while doing so... very nice aroma indeed. God I hope it isn't tainted with something, lol, cause that would just suck a big one.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #550
Dgonza9
Recipes 

I don't have a temp controlled fermenting freezer. So I'm wondering if temps will rise too much in a rubber coated keg once the yeast get going.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Quick Reply