Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!
View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 83 11.20%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.70%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.54%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 554 74.76%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 80 10.80%
Voters: 741. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 12:46 AM   #501
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
Made the order today

1 1 Each 3847K12
Multipurpose Gauge +/-2% Mid-Scale Accuracy 1-1/2" Dial, 1/8" NPT Male Bottom, 0 - 30 PSI (Same as 3847K71)
today
$9.63 $9.63 ?
2 1 Each 99045K44
Polysulfone Adjustable Relief Valve 1/8" NPT Female, Pressure-Maintaining, 0.5-30 PSI (Same as 99045K11)
today
$30.13 $30.13 ?
6 1 Each 9171K31
Precision Thrd HI-Pressure Brass Pipe Fitting 1/8" Pipe Size, Tee, Fem X Fem X Male, 2900 PSI
today
$16.15 $16.15 ?
7 1 Each 5350K31
Zinc-Plated Steel Barbed Hose Fitting Std-Wall Adapter, 1/4" Hose ID X 1/8" NPT Male Pipe
today
$1.61 $1.61 ?

combine these with a gas QD with a barb and some beverage hose and I should be good minus the upright freezer of course.
You'll be very glad you got the more expensive relief valve.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #502
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The relief valve is sweet, but I wouldn't be able to carbonate at 75*F with it. This lager got up to 36 psi at 75*F. I do wish they made a cheaper digital adjustable back-pressure relief valve. That is what I really want!!!

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #503
WortMonger

Recipes 

Wow, 60,000+ views of this thread now. I never ever in a million years would have thought that many eyes would have been on this. Keep the information coming guys and one day we might be sticky worthy.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:17 PM   #504
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
lamarguy, I was checking out those filters and they say 140*F as max temperature. I guess you haven't seen any warping or anything bad, but I was curious. I would love to find a stainless cartridge so I could autoclave it. It would be worth the extra cost to be able to reuse it indefinitely. Anyone know if they actually make a stainless pleated filter that look like the ones commonly used?
Here are the best filters I have come across yet. They have SS end caps and are autoclaveable.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #505
WortMonger

Recipes 

Thanks for the link sudbuster. I wonder though with the information provided from their site if this filter housing will work with this filter? Also if the filter I just referenced is an "absolute" or "nominal" filter? What do you/anyone think?

Old 10-30-2010, 12:29 AM   #506
sudbuster

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks for the link sudbuster. I wonder though with the information provided from their site if this filter housing will work with this filter? Also if the filter I just referenced is an "absolute" or "nominal" filter? What do you/anyone think?
WortMonger,
The housing I use is a GE houshold water filter housing obtainable at any of the builder's supplys. The filter you show is the same one I use for pre-filtering. I also have a 0.49 micron which i use for my son-in-law who is allegic to very much yeast. I can taste a difference after that filter though, so I only use the pre-filter for eveything else.
They just drop in like any other filter and away you go. When done, simply back flush and pressure them. If you get one, make sure the SS ring is checked on your order. They are the same price as the others and hold up to high temps better.
My system is such that from the brew kettle to the tap, the beer never is exposed to oxygen. The beer is allowed to naturally carbonate in the secondary. So, our systems differ in some respects. I could never find a good Sanke, or I would have gone with your setup. Take care, bud, and keep the pipeline moving....

Old 10-30-2010, 03:58 AM   #507
WortMonger

Recipes 

Yeah, I used to be closed from kettle to tap, but now I fill my primary with it open then close. I would filter after my primary under counter pressure filling of my serving keg. I am carbonated during the end of primary and was worried until I read everything about filtering carbonated beer. Now I have no worries. So, you use this filter and it is absolute at .45 microns? Even if it isn't absolute, it polishes your beer just fine? You mentioned you have/use a larger .49 micron and can taste the difference so I wondered when you said you use this filter for everything else other than the beers for your son-in-law. I so love my system and the technique, this would just be the icing on the cake.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:13 AM   #508
sudbuster

Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah, I used to be closed from kettle to tap, but now I fill my primary with it open then close. I would filter after my primary under counter pressure filling of my serving keg. I am carbonated during the end of primary and was worried until I read everything about filtering carbonated beer. Now I have no worries. So, you use this filter and it is absolute at .45 microns? Even if it isn't absolute, it polishes your beer just fine? You mentioned you have/use a larger .49 micron and can taste the difference so I wondered when you said you use this filter for everything else other than the beers for your son-in-law. I so love my system and the technique, this would just be the icing on the cake.
Yes, I do use these filters. They perform well. The 0.49 micron does remove too much for my taste, but SIL is happy. The 1.00 micron is perfect for me, but I still use the 3 micron pre-filter. That thing is the real work horse for the down line filters. I'm subscribed to this thread, so let me know how it works out if you decide to try filtering.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:28 AM   #509
WortMonger

Recipes 

Ahhh, I thought you were saying you used the .45 micron in the link I posted, hence my confusion when you were talking about using the .49 and that being too much filtration for your tastes, lol. Glad you use the 1 and 3, as those are what I was thinking about. Actually, I would probably just buy the 1 and call it good. Since I get very little sediment during my transfer from primary (used as mentioned last post) would you think I would have a problem using just the 1 micron, or would you suggest the 3 then the 1? I am hoping just the 1 would work without clogging up due to my clean transfer anyway.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:02 AM   #510
WortMonger

Recipes 

Yay, I'm down to 33*F for the second day after climbing down from 75*F (5*F daily and then the final 2*F yesterday). I should be ready to transfer this bad boy tomorrow after I clean the keg. I can't wait to try it after I transfer. Next up, brown! That one should be done before I even attempt to serve this one.

Quick Reply