New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!

View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 75 11.00%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.93%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.59%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 510 74.78%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 73 10.70%
Voters: 682. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2007, 03:30 PM   #41
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Have you checked into "blending" or High Gravity Brewing? If your mash tun can handle a bigger load of grain then you can brew a higher OG beer with proportionately higher hops and other additions, and then can add it to pre-boiled water in your fermenter to achieve the OG you want. Or, do what some of the big guys do by blending pre-container so you get the most from your fermenter, of course they use perfectly controlled water for this and I don't want to go there until I am very sure about the process. I am thinking about blending using my new system to get me to a whole 15.5 gallon final batch. The pressure fermentation technique I use allow me more in the fermenter because of subdued krausen height, and I know how much is always left in my fermenter afterwords. So, if nothing leaves the fermenter until it is finished and you take good gravity readings, I should know how much beer is going into my serving/"secondary" ahead of time. Knowing this, I could boil my water after pitching my yeast or even wait a day and then boil and add my cool measured (because hot water expands and will give you a wrong reading) pre-boiled water to the soon-to-be serving keg. Once in there, I will purge it with the CO2 from fermentation (spunding valve on serving keg not fermenter) and will remove even more of the remaining O2 in the water. Then at transfer time, I will bleed the spunding valve on the serving keg as I'm adding back gas to the fermenter, just like serving a beer. The higher gravity beer will mix with the same carbonation level water and then mature just like normal. Where it at, where it at, where it at??? I love the flexibility this gives me in the very near future even more so than it does right now, and I love it now .

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #42
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am on the way. I have a buddy that works for some kinda pipe fitting place with a McM-C account. You might have a PM soon.

I did a very high gravity half bock, brewed one gallon of dopplebock, diluted with 3 gallons of water in the bottling bucket so I have four gallons of "half bock" to serve my BMC swilling friends. I can see fermenting say 4 gallons of "English Bitter" that won't hit FG until it gets racked onto one gallon of H2O in the serving keg. Schweet!

I picked up two more "straight spear" cornies last night, so I have three where the spear under the black post is perfectly straight and I should be able to juggle lengths around and leave most of the crud behind when I xfer to serving keg.

I did convert two grey posts to airlocks last night also, both of my SMaSH brews are in steel under airlocks. When the time comes I will use CO2 to push them into the bottling bucket, both of those will be bottled conditioned for eventual swap shipment.

I also have all the parts for a black to black corny transfer hose, and I figured out how to purge CO2 into empty corny's through the black post.

And I have the stuff for a steep/extract English Pale, so as soon as I get my McM-C stuff in I'll brew that and measure how much gets pushed out the blowoff. I am sure the proper transfer spear length will vary with the OG and yeastchoice for starters... but my next batch is going to carb itself in the keg under a spunding valve.

My plastic fermenter is retired. I will be using it as an ice bucket to control temp on my next batch that will primary in steel.

My glass carboys have been given away free to good homes.

I feel so organized that I should probably go have a home brew right now, except it is 0930AM local.

Thanks for the inspiration wortmonger. I was explaining to my LHBS guy last night about transferring keg to keg with a spunding valve on the target keg and I thought he was going to pee his pants.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:19 PM   #43
WortMonger

Recipes 

Glad I could be of help. I really like the way things just seem easier. It does cost more for the gadgets, but makes my life so much easier. I am trying to post some pics of what I have planned for CO2 reclamation (the make your own CO2 thread and pics are of course more than I will probably do, but the idea for purging the keg is the main idea), you should check it out if you want to.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:19 AM   #44
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have just siphoned my last beer. I do have one more empty Corny and five one gallon batches of mead in glass, but that can wait. My last beer is out of glass into Stainless and I (knock wood) am never going to have to fool with a siphon again.

All I have from McMaster Carr right now is a order confirmation number, but I am about to ululate like a blue painted Celt while my autosiphon goes thup-thup-thupping off the balcony.

Thanks again wortmonger, from here on out I get to use CO2 and a transfer tube.

If a siphon falls in the dumpster and there is no one to mourn does it still make a noise?

Old 12-22-2007, 02:53 PM   #45
WortMonger

Recipes 

LOL, I have never used an auto siphon so I have no idea what one is. I am about to bottle from my primary about two gallons that got left during transfer last time. I think I am just going to use the simplistic method proposed by BeirMuncher, I believe, and use my testing spigot and a stopper and bleed the stopper to fill the bottle. This is just getting too simple.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:26 PM   #46
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wortmonger
LOL, I have never used an auto siphon so I have no idea what one is. I am about to bottle from my primary about two gallons that got left during transfer last time. I think I am just going to use the simplistic method proposed by BeirMuncher, I believe, and use my testing spigot and a stopper and bleed the stopper to fill the bottle. This is just getting too simple.

Actually I just racked from from flat keg to bottling bucket onto priming sugar;-) Like ten minutes ago.

For flat beer to priming sugar I used 10 feet of 3/16" tube with just a black post at the keg end and bare naked hose barb in the bottom of the bottling bucket.

At the other end I just hooked up my CO2 tank to the grey post on the source keg.

I actually held the bare end of the transfer hose over the sink while the yeast was blowing, then to the bottling bucket.

I used the same 10-12psi CO2 I am using to serve and force carb EdWorts Haus Pale.

No bubbling issues, I might invoke a picnic tap and racking cane next time so I can stop the flow immediately when the yeast is gone and the beer is running clear.

Just M2c.

Still thinking about bottling forced carbed beer. It seems like the swap results are spotty though several folks are getting good results with bottles that stay home.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #47
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Wortmonger,
I've added this to the Wiki. It could really do with your input.

Any one with a little Wiki experience fancy adding categories and formatting?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Closed-system_pressurized_fermentation

Old 12-23-2007, 01:41 PM   #48
WortMonger

Recipes 

Hey Orfy, let me brew this week and take some better pictures. I want it to be spot on when I make a go at the Wiki. I will do a much better write-up with a lot more pictures. I am glad you even think it is worthy so I will do you guys some justice and make it great.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:14 PM   #49
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well the haggis is in the fire now. I have 4 gallons of steep/extract @1.051 English Pale Ale in a five gallon corny, with a serving keg set to receive the last gallon of water.

I pitched my yeast 73 minutes ago, the thread makes a whole lot more sense with keg over here by my right knee building pressure ;-)

I am going to reset my spunding valve from 30psi down to I think 5psi for a couple days. Once the yeast are ripping, then I'll slowly increase the pressure in the keg.

Video in equipment section.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #50
WortMonger

Recipes 

Right on, keep us informed of your ferment at 5 psi. I am curious if 1 gallon is enough head space, and you should find out pretty quickly if it is not. I'd recommend putting something like a rag over the "gas escape" just in case krausen gets there and starts spitting out. Are you temperature controlling your ferment? I need to go check out your videos, maybe it shows there. Anyways, glad you understand it now and can't wait to hear about your "victory," hopefully.

Quick Reply