Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!
View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 82 11.25%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.74%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.55%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 544 74.62%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 79 10.84%
Voters: 729. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #481
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'm looking to get a flow meter for the O2 injection. It's between these two:

digital flow meter

Dwyer - VFA-2

Seemed like most people were saying you need an O2 welding tank, regulator, and flow meter. Looks like you can hook one of these up to your HD o2 tank as they both have npt connections. I know HD tanks are expensive in the long run, but for now I don't have the upfront to invest in a welding tank, etc.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #482
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use the VFA2, with a small portable O2 tank (think the size of a propane torch). I think the tank costs about $9, and I get about 4 10g brews from it.

Secondary

Kegged
BeeCave Haus Ale - 6%
Bells Two Hearted, round 2- 6.1%
SNPA Clone (Chilled )
Hard Lemonade

Shiraz - 6 gal

Old 10-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #483
Dgonza9
Recipes 

I'm going to get the dwyer. People have some concerns about the other one being able to handle the low flow rate and even about oil contamination, as I guess the other is for paintball use.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 10-24-2010, 08:18 PM   #484
lagavulin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have run into a hurdle building my pressure relief system.

My pressure gauge and relief valve are connected to a 1/4'' NPT Tee.

I am using ball lock kegs and I had had the typical issue of having to connect the male flare on the QD to the female 1/4'' NPT. I thought I had it solved in the purchase of something like this:

But the female flare is inverted.

Question is: Can I drill out the inverted piece, wrap the male flare in teflon, screw the 2 pieces together and call it good?

Cheers!

Old 10-24-2010, 08:56 PM   #485
Dgonza9
Recipes 

I'm not sure what you are planning but here's another way.

Use a swivel female flare fitting like this from your gas connector. (I'm assuming you have a 1/4" MFL).

Then use a flare to 1/4" npt fitting like this.

I got both of those fittings from midwestsupplies.com

I use a 1/4" flared tailpiece for mine since I was using a sanke coupler, but the same principal works with a your corny connector.

Here's a shot of my spund valve in action.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 10-25-2010, 03:43 AM   #486
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagavulin
I have run into a hurdle building my pressure relief system.
If I remember right (sorry haven't used cornies in a while) the male threads the posts go on are 1/4". Can't you just screw your tee to it directly, or find a way to attach it to the ball lock connector threaded piece the nipple is attached to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9
I use a 1/4" flared tailpiece for mine since I was using a sanke coupler, but the same principal works with a your corny connector.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
That's an awfully big piece of equipment. It look like it might have potential for leaking due to the way it sticks out unsupported. This is how all of mine have looked.

and another shot...

Here's the thing on my old tap connector.

and another view of it.

The white piece is nylon I had made into a threaded tailpiece (the stainless ones were more costly than having 4 of these made. I was worried about this construction being too heavy for the fitting, so I could never have trusted the one you built for myself. The only difference with the one I use now (sorry no pics of it) is the relief valve and a fluid filled gauge. This older brass one only controls up to 20 psi, so I needed a higher psi one to carbonate with.

I am glad it is working well for you and not leaking. The problem with using flared fittings is that they don't work as well as tapered thread fittings in the tee.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #487
lagavulin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for your post Dgonza9, I was hoping I could get around using the female swivels and flare to NPT nipple -- but it may be my only option.

Quote:
If I remember right (sorry haven't used cornies in a while) the male threads the posts go on are 1/4". Can't you just screw your tee to it directly, or find a way to attach it to the ball lock connector threaded piece the nipple is attached to?
- WortMonger -
Didn't think about screwing the tee directly onto the post - I'll give it a look, but it is less than optimal. I'd like the convenience of the QD and the ability to charge the keg in the closed system.

I did drill out the female inverted flare to male NPT adapter last night. And it leaked. I suppose a male flare does need a female flare to form a union...

May end up grabbing some tubing, a couple barbed fittings and swivel nuts - and call it. Though I really wanted to keep this thing compact with as little chance as possible for leaks. WortMonger your device is awesome - absolute minimum connections.

If anyone knows where I could pick up a female 1/4'' flare to male 1/4'' NPT adapter please shoot me a PM.

Cheers!

Old 10-26-2010, 01:42 AM   #488
Dgonza9
Recipes 

That's an awfully big piece of equipment. It look like it might have potential for leaking due to the way it sticks out unsupported. This is how all of mine have looked.

Those swivel flares are a bit flimsy. I had two and one did break while I was tightening everything. However, they don't seem to be in any danger of needing support in my opinion. Once you have them connected it's pretty solid. I don't think it's even a concern. It's tighting everything with the swivel flare that can stress them. Here's the final configuration of my spund valve. On the right I have a quick connect for CO2 input.

I do admire how simple yours is Wortmonger. How does one go about getting a piece milled for him?

I couldn't find a female flare fitting to male npt 1/4". Hence the swivel nut.

I also agree on the more expensive pressure release valve. I wound up getting the $30 one it is world's better.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 10-26-2010, 01:49 AM   #489
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Go to a beer drinking machinist! LOL. They will give you a good break on the price and after you pay them, and bring them beer, they will really help you in the future.

I really like the idea of the quick connect for adding gas to start off the ferment, then again I have never had any trouble just letting the yeast pressure it up.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #490
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 20

lamarguy,

I was wondering where you got your filter stuff, primarily the actual filter and the cartridges. I know you mentioned you were able to clean them and use again which is what I was looking to do.

Also, if my dip tube is a tad too low and picks up some sediment, I assume a filter like that would take care of that unless there was a clog or something.

Quick Reply