Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!
View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 82 11.25%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.74%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.55%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 544 74.62%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 79 10.84%
Voters: 729. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #471
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would crash cool and transfer as cold as you can get it. Otherwise, there could be foam and more sediment than you would want during the transfer. If it were me, I would definitely try to get it cold for a couple of days prior to doing anything with it. Good God man... buy a dedicated fridge or freezer! Doesn't your delicious beer deserve it??? LOL

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #472
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
I wouldn't give it the mark of Abraham Honestly, I wish I hadn't. Try one without cutting the tube first, then see how it goes from there. My fermenter leaves a quart due to the cut tube.
doesn't the dip tube go all the way to the bottom though? There has to be some cuttage just wondering how much of a pile of yeast poop I will have.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:59 PM   #473
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

It's a space issue. I already have taken over a large area with all my tools and now brewing equipment, but I'm looking into it. At worst I may go with putting my fermenting keg in a bucket of ice at the end.

In other news, I had to get a new spund valve as mine was leaking. It's a little over two days since I pitched and there's not much going on. I tried to dial my new spund valve up to 12 and so far it's holding steady at 9psi. I'm a bit concerned about stuck fermentation. Time for a hydrometer sample.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 10-20-2010, 12:04 AM   #474
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Can anyone chime in on a O2 injection question? I made an O2 injection system for use with home depot style tanks. It worked great, but since I didn't much know how much O2 to provide I just turned it up until I could visually see the wort bubbling and left it on the entire transfer, 10 minutes or more. A few other folks have said after the fact that 15 seconds is enough for a 10 gallon batch if the tank is on full blast. Bobby M thought more like one minute is good. What should I shoot for?

Secondly, Bobby M mentioned that he would only do inline inject if he had a medical tank with a regulator that can control flow rate. Can anyone speak to this? I was reluctant to invest the money in that now, plus I'd heard you can't get them filled without a prescription. Any information would be appreciated.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 10-20-2010, 03:56 AM   #475
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Took a hydrometer reading tonight. 1.12. This recipe is a bit of a quaffer, but it seems it's already done in just over 2 days! Keg pressure is at 9psi and no longer rising. I'm going to leave it for the rest of the week and maybe keg it this weekend if I can clear some room in the kegerator. At 9 psi I imagine I can transfer it without crash cooling. Am I wrong?

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 10-21-2010, 02:25 AM   #476
WortMonger

Recipes 

I usually shoot my kettle with about 30 seconds of O2 and then transfer to the fermenter when using just O2. I really like the way I do it now though with just a Venturi and recirculation.

As for transferring warm, or without crash cooling... it isn't going to be clear that is for sure. Don't rush the steps or you will be disappointed. Baby it and treat it right, and it will be good to you. Rush it, and poke it with a stick.... and that bear will eat your face off! I just want you to have a great batch and be happy with it. You really need to get a way to crash cool it, or you need to let it sit an appropriately long time to get that way.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #477
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9 View Post
Can anyone chime in on a O2 injection question? I made an O2 injection system for use with home depot style tanks. It worked great, but since I didn't much know how much O2 to provide I just turned it up until I could visually see the wort bubbling and left it on the entire transfer, 10 minutes or more. A few other folks have said after the fact that 15 seconds is enough for a 10 gallon batch if the tank is on full blast. Bobby M thought more like one minute is good. What should I shoot for?

Secondly, Bobby M mentioned that he would only do inline inject if he had a medical tank with a regulator that can control flow rate. Can anyone speak to this? I was reluctant to invest the money in that now, plus I'd heard you can't get them filled without a prescription. Any information would be appreciated.
+1- I am building an in line ox system and am wondering the same thing.
Kind of hope that I don't have to buy expensive Ox tanks/regs. I don't understand what would be different about not knowing flow rate w/ in-line vs not. Doesn't make sense.

Was just planning on 1 min or so during the middle of transfer into the fermenter and wait and see how foamy it is or isn't and continue or not.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #478
WortMonger

Recipes 

Well, I am far from an expert on over-oxygenation. At the brewery, we turned the O2 on the whole transfer. That was 465 gallons though, and with just enough to see the bubbles in the site-glass. I am sure you would be fine charging just the middle of the run. I get great aeration with a simple Venturi, so I have quit trying to guess with the O2 bottle. You should be fine.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #479
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
I usually shoot my kettle with about 30 seconds of O2 and then transfer to the fermenter when using just O2. I really like the way I do it now though with just a Venturi and recirculation.

As for transferring warm, or without crash cooling... it isn't going to be clear that is for sure. Don't rush the steps or you will be disappointed. Baby it and treat it right, and it will be good to you. Rush it, and poke it with a stick.... and that bear will eat your face off! I just want you to have a great batch and be happy with it. You really need to get a way to crash cool it, or you need to let it sit an appropriately long time to get that way.
I see what you are saying. I'm in no rush, actually. I just thought the crash cool was mostly about the pressure. Obviously I am overlooking yeast flocculation. Now you've got me thinking about getting a fermentation chamber going. Damn this hobby! LOL.

Wortmonger, thanks a ton for answering all these questions. Much Obliged.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 10-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #480
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You might consider using sterile, compressed air with your inline oxygenation setup. I use compressed air exclusively for beers with an OG <= 1.070.

The necessary parts are (1) oil-less compressor, (2) regulator, and (3) inline hepa filter.

Alternatively, you could use an oiled compressor with an inline oil-removal filter.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Quick Reply