Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!
View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 83 11.16%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 21 2.82%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.54%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 556 74.73%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 80 10.75%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #451
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'm looking at my spund valve gauge and I see that between 0 -10 psi there are only 7 tick marks. What's with that? How can I set it to 1-2 psi?

I guess I'm thinking I'll hit it with some co2 until I have the readout at the first tick mark and leave it there for most of fermentation.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 03:35 AM   #452
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Default Pressure relief gauge leaks

I was re assembling my spund valve (decided to change the layout). The release valve accidentally unscrewed. Spring and ball popped out. I put them back in, but now it leaks.

Was planning on brewing tomorrow. Any tips on how to fix the leak?

I have THIS ONE from Mcamaster.com

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 10-17-2010, 04:40 AM   #453
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Are you sure you put it back together right? Also, I couldn't see your link to the McMaster site. I assume you bought a spunding valve that can do both pressure and vacuum control depending on which way you install the ball and spring.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-17-2010, 04:55 AM   #454
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
Woohoo, I have lift-off from bottle dregs for my PacMan starter. Hopefully I'm brewing tomorrow.
Cheering with you, wortmonger!!
I think you are one of the most inovative personalities on HBT, Unlike some that do a lot of talking and drawing followers. I enjoy your experiments and practical knowledge........

Old 10-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #455
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Default Here's the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
Are you sure you put it back together right? Also, I couldn't see your link to the McMaster site. I assume you bought a spunding valve that can do both pressure and vacuum control depending on which way you install the ball and spring.
Here's the link to the relief valve

I put the spring in first, then the ball. Perhaps it goes the other way around?

Cheers, guys! Time for a homebrew.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 10-17-2010, 05:44 AM   #456
Dgonza9
Recipes 

This post was solved. Nevermind.

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 10-17-2010, 06:05 AM   #457
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Finally removed the check ball from the coupler. This was keeping me from transferring. All is well. Doh!

Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

Old 10-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #458
WortMonger

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster
Cheering with you, wortmonger!!
I think you are one of the most inovative personalities on HBT, Unlike some that do a lot of talking and drawing followers. I enjoy your experiments and practical knowledge........
Thank you for that, I have my own heroes in this forum. There are a ton of guys that blow my mind with what they do. Glad I can do what I do, and hope we can all help the subject of this thread go to new heights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9
Finally removed the check ball from the coupler. All is well. Doh!
LOL, sorry to laugh it just brings back memories of my oops in the early days. I would try to rig your system up to not have to go through such small tubing going into your keg from the keggle. I no longer utilize filling my fermenter while it is sealed, as I get much more aeration by using the same hoses and setup as I do while recirculating and chilling.

When I did transfer to a sealed keg, I used 1/2" silicone tubing (for the hot side of my brewery) as the cold side transfer hoses. Since I use a Thrumometer, I had to drop from 1/2" down to 3/8" tubing to use it inline. Before it was in use, I had a nipple and beer-nut attached to the end of one of my 1/2" hoses to connect to the keg connector (elbow in your gut... elbow in your gut... "with both connectors check valves removed" ) to allow transfer while completely sealed.

Like I said, I don't do this anymore so I can see what is going on with fill level and aeration, as well as if I need to pitch a little later. In this case, I remove the unsecured spear assembly, pitch, then close the keg up 100% and start fermentation.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #459
cmuench
Recipes 

I've been interested in fermenting in a sankey for a while. This technique has a lot of appeal to me.

I can't decide wheter to remove the spear and use Derrin's conversion triclover (Lamarguy) or use a modified sankey coupler (Wortmonger).

Wort, how to you easily disassemble the metal stay ring to get the spear out. When I've done it, it was a real PIA. Yuri posted a different ring from McMaster to replace the original that looked like it would be easier to remove, but I can't find that post again. Is that what you're using, or do you just get good at removing/reinserting the original? Reading your cleaning technique, it sounds like you just leave the spear in?

Old 10-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #460
WortMonger

Recipes 

I do many different things while cleaning, to change things up and try new things, lol. Usually, I fill my kegs with Oxy or PBW and seal them up completely. Then I let it sit about an hour and turn the keg over for another hour. I then open, empty, and rinse the keg before filling with Star-San. I completely close the keg after I put about 1-2 gallons of Star-San in and let stand the required time. Last comes hooking up my transfer equipment and pushing the sanitizer through the stuff until empty. Now, I am mostly 100% purged so it only requires another shot of CO2 to get me there. I then tip the keg upside down and tap with the tap connector to get out even more sanitizer. I usually put caps on both the beer and gas ports and just pull the tap's pressure relief until it quits sneezing liquid.

As for trying this pressure technique out, using normal keg things and buying a cheap spunding valve would be less expensive. The spunding valve can be used for filling kegs if you ever decided not to pressure ferment later (WortMonger), then you wouldn't have something expensive you don't use (Lamarguy). His setup is cool, but if you are unsure at least mine can be used for something else you would actually need to counter pressure transfer with. I'm just sayin'

I still use the original rings that came with my kegs. I got real fast at opening and closing them while working for a brewery, so it isn't any more hassle than the rings Yuri mentions. I use a very small flat-head screwdriver (like the ones they give out for advertisement with the pocket clip like a pen) to open the rings, and a pair of smooth (no teeth) pliers to re-attach the ring. A little practice goes a long way, and proper placement of the end of the ring will help the next time you need to remove the ring.

Quick Reply