Originally Posted by WortMonger
Any updates from people using the technique latey?
I'm enjoying the results of my first brew with the technique, which I have to say is my best batch yet out of 7-8 batches.
What I like / worked well:
- Fermenting in a sealed keg. Don't have to worry about infection, light, O2. Easy to pull samples.
- Fermenting in keg in a kegerator. Easy temperature control. Can cold-crash in fermentor.
- Keg spear removal tool made life much easier.
- DIY keg cleaner using 5 gallon bucket, submersible pump, PVC pipe and metal CIP ball
- Pressurized transfer to serving keg (for half the batch).
What I'm not so excited about / didn't work well:
- Fermenting under pressure. Not sure if it buys you anything.
- "Natural" carbonating in fermentor. It turns out my spunding valve has a slow leak somewhere; I think in the gauge itself. I ended up attaching the valve only to take readings in the end, but was never able to get up to proper carbonating pressure. I ended up force-carbing while cold crashing.
- Counter-pressure bottle filling for half the batch. It worked in the end, but what a pain and what a mess.