Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!
View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 83 11.16%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 21 2.82%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.54%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 556 74.73%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 80 10.75%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #1831
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

A quick google search revealed this:IMPORTANT - All pressure gauges sealed for the purpose of liquid-filling have a device to assure atmospheric compensation. A sticker on the case shows how to cut off or pierce a hole into the rubber placed at the top of the gauge after installation. If the rubber device is not opened, in addition to false pressure reading, sever personal damage may be resulted.

I think it'll be fine; it must have been equalizing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #1832
MyNameIsPaul
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
A quick google search revealed this:IMPORTANT - All pressure gauges sealed for the purpose of liquid-filling have a device to assure atmospheric compensation. A sticker on the case shows how to cut off or pierce a hole into the rubber placed at the top of the gauge after installation. If the rubber device is not opened, in addition to false pressure reading, sever personal damage may be resulted.

I think it'll be fine; it must have been equalizing.
Thanks Pickles, your GoogleFu was way better than mine this morning!

See one melée of unruly people, and you've seen a maul.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #1833
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Any updates from people using the technique latey?

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #1834
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Would someone mind posting their transfer-to-serving keg technique? That's the biggest problem that I'm having. I didn't shorten my dip tube, and of course, yeast is coming over. Do any of you guys filter under counter-pressure? If so, is it still a complete mess (nucleation sites on the filter membrane and carbonated beer)?

Old 10-11-2013, 01:38 AM   #1835
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNBrews View Post
Would someone mind posting their transfer-to-serving keg technique? That's the biggest problem that I'm having. I didn't shorten my dip tube, and of course, yeast is coming over. Do any of you guys filter under counter-pressure? If so, is it still a complete mess (nucleation sites on the filter membrane and carbonated beer)?
Here are some quotes from WortMonger;
"I transfer to my serving keg at as close to 32*F as I can get, and at counter-pressure. I pressure up to 15 psi (15 psi = 103 KPa) in my target keg, then transfer with 15 psi (15 psi = 103 KPa) bottle gas out of the primary fermenter keg. With my spunding valve on my target keg set to 15 psi (15 psi = 103 KPa), I then up the bottle pressure a little to try and have a slow flow to the target keg. This insures I don't have a lot of sediment entering the target keg. I like the true counter-pressure transfer, and the spunding valve makes that easy. I like my target kept at the pressure I want it to end up at, and raise the pressure in the first keg as control. It [takes] about 10 minutes [to complete a 5 gallon (5 gal = 18.9 L) transfer].

I do have my target at a little lower than sending keg pressure to start the transfer, but with my spunding valve set to my wanted ending pressure. This insures I don't get a blast of CO2 into my sending keg before beer starts to flow into the target keg and stir up sediment (which happened while learning my system)."

Here is one of my pics showing the 'first runnings' of the yeast being pushed into an empty corny. Blue handle is the receiving corny.

Gently pushing first 'runnings' into 'catch can'. I don't want the yeast carried over into my serving keg.

3/2/2013 by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr

In Cat Beers - I've Only Had One

BIABrewer.info / Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique

Brewing with MS; http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscie...473769/detail/

Old 10-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #1836
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks MadScientist I would never have thought about the problem of the receiving keg burping back into the primary and the calamity that would result. You have surely saved me some frustration, I'm sure!

I got to thinking a little more about "racking". A corny keg dip tube is approx the same diameter as an acrylic racking cane. I wonder if by simply utilizing one of the racking cane ends secured to the dip tube, the flow of beer might be less apt to disturb the yeast/trub cake at the bottom of the vessel? Simple idea, but if it helps in a normal racking transfer...

Old 10-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #1837
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNBrews
Thanks MadScientist I would never have thought about the problem of the receiving keg burping back into the primary and the calamity that would result. You have surely saved me some frustration, I'm sure!

I got to thinking a little more about "racking". A corny keg dip tube is approx the same diameter as an acrylic racking cane. I wonder if by simply utilizing one of the racking cane ends secured to the dip tube, the flow of beer might be less apt to disturb the yeast/trub cake at the bottom of the vessel? Simple idea, but if it helps in a normal racking transfer...
That would work swimmingly except for the little bit in the racking cane end piece. I wouldn't worry about that little bit of yeast at all. I thought of doing the same thing for a sanke but haven't found anything that would work yet.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #1838
Borgstrom
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
Any updates from people using the technique latey?
I'm enjoying the results of my first brew with the technique, which I have to say is my best batch yet out of 7-8 batches.

What I like / worked well:
- Fermenting in a sealed keg. Don't have to worry about infection, light, O2. Easy to pull samples.

- Fermenting in keg in a kegerator. Easy temperature control. Can cold-crash in fermentor.

- Keg spear removal tool made life much easier.

- DIY keg cleaner using 5 gallon bucket, submersible pump, PVC pipe and metal CIP ball

- Pressurized transfer to serving keg (for half the batch).

What I'm not so excited about / didn't work well:
- Fermenting under pressure. Not sure if it buys you anything.

- "Natural" carbonating in fermentor. It turns out my spunding valve has a slow leak somewhere; I think in the gauge itself. I ended up attaching the valve only to take readings in the end, but was never able to get up to proper carbonating pressure. I ended up force-carbing while cold crashing.

- Counter-pressure bottle filling for half the batch. It worked in the end, but what a pain and what a mess.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #1839
truanthony
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm planning on brewing my 1st lager (I've got 8 brews under my belt and 2 of those we're with a spunding valve). My question, could someone post their fermentation and lagering schedule ie days, temperature, pressure. I know this has been posted/discussed before but I can't seem to find it. Thanks

Old 10-17-2013, 01:33 AM   #1840
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
That would work swimmingly except for the little bit in the racking cane end piece. I wouldn't worry about that little bit of yeast at all. I thought of doing the same thing for a sanke but haven't found anything that would work yet.
What's the OD on a sanke spear? I've seen "approx 1-inch", mentioned on a few home distiller forums where they were attempting to convert them to Liebig condensers. If you could friction-fit a copper reducer to the outside (or inside) of the spear, you could narrow it down to 1/2". They make replacement tips for that size OD racking cane.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/1-2-r...ement-tip.html

Edit: With a little bit of ingenuity, you could probably make an oversize copper end cap work too. It would just be a matter of finding a couple pieces of something food-safe to position in a few points around the outside of the spear (to emulate the molded ridges in a normal one) to make the cap stay put.

Quick Reply