Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!

View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 81 11.27%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.78%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.56%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 535 74.41%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 79 10.99%
Voters: 719. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #1771
-MG-
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger View Post
I would go ahead and set it to carb at what temperature it is at when you pull it out for a d-rest. Then again, I'd probably let it stay in the primary temps until I hit 70-75% attenuated, then pull and set for carb at my d-rest temps. That's just me though.
Thanks! Since fermentation is accelerated, by the time I took the next sample and let it degas I was already at 69% attenuation. At that time I took it out of the fridge and letting it rise to my basement temp around 66. I plan to leave it there for about a week and plan to ramp up the PSI to my desired carb level.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #1772
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

sub'd. this looks awesome since i've been looking to move away from better bottles and have a great and cheap hookup for corny's.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 06-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #1773
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MG-

Thanks! Since fermentation is accelerated, by the time I took the next sample and let it degas I was already at 69% attenuation. At that time I took it out of the fridge and letting it rise to my basement temp around 66. I plan to leave it there for about a week and plan to ramp up the PSI to my desired carb level.
How did the ramp go? Did you get up to wanted CO2 volumes? Just curious how well it worked for you.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 06-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #1774
MikeSpike
Recipes 

Using Beer Plugs® (15PSI gauge or 30PSI absolute) on 3-liter SODA bottles work great for pressure fermentation. They are special caps that vent pressure above a threshold with high quality, inexpensive one-way valves. Soda bottles (which will hold over 100PSI) make great pressure vessels. The Beer Plugs® were mainly designed to use in the racking/finishing stage for those who bottle prime. But you can get them for the 3-liter PET soda bottles #AND# you can get them for glass growlers. Both are much less costly than pin-lock or ball-lock cornies, which'll be around fifty bucks most anywhere. Here's how they work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrkRywBhuPM&feature=youtu.be

Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #1775
RoundKid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Would one of you who ferments in an unmodified sankey be willing to detail your yeast washing procedure for me?

I have been making a larger starter and saving some of that, but I would like to be able to save larger quantities from my lagers to minimize the number of starter steps I need.

Old 06-18-2013, 03:57 AM   #1776
WortMonger

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSpike
Using Beer Plugs® (15PSI gauge or 30PSI absolute) on 3-liter SODA bottles work great for pressure fermentation. They are special caps that vent pressure above a threshold with high quality, inexpensive one-way valves. Soda bottles (which will hold over 100PSI) make great pressure vessels. The Beer Plugs® were mainly designed to use in the racking/finishing stage for those who bottle prime. But you can get them for the 3-liter PET soda bottles #AND# you can get them for glass growlers. Both are much less costly than pin-lock or ball-lock cornies, which'll be around fifty bucks most anywhere. Here's how they work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrkRywBhuPM&feature=youtu.be
Good product for what it is designed for, but fermentation??? Even at 3 liter that is way too small to be effective. Great bottle conditioning idea though.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:02 AM   #1777
WortMonger

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundKid
Would one of you who ferments in an unmodified sankey be willing to detail your yeast washing procedure for me?

I have been making a larger starter and saving some of that, but I would like to be able to save larger quantities from my lagers to minimize the number of starter steps I need.
Easy, slowly let out the pressure in the keg once beer is transferred. Then I used a coke bottle with bottom cut off for funnel on the beer port on the connector to fill with sterilized water. Once filled, shake keg and push out all the yeast you can into your collection vessel. Now wash as normal from this point on. Slowly releasing the pressure is key or the yeast will explode.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #1778
RoundKid
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WortMonger

Easy, slowly let out the pressure in the keg once beer is transferred. Then I used a coke bottle with bottom cut off for funnel on the beer port on the connector to fill with sterilized water. Once filled, shake keg and push out all the yeast you can into your collection vessel. Now wash as normal from this point on. Slowly releasing the pressure is key or the yeast will explode.
What do you mean when you say slowly? Over an hour? A day?

How much water do you typically add?

Thanks.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #1779
WortMonger

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundKid

What do you mean when you say slowly? Over an hour? A day?

How much water do you typically add?

Thanks.
An hour doing a psi every few minutes. I add whatever water I plan to do the initial was with. Usually this is about a gallon.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:17 AM   #1780
Skidsmint
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This thread inspired me to build my own setup! Just thought I'd post my build for everyone.

image-2578052936.jpg   image-78028041.jpg   image-412992381.jpg  

"If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking
beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out your nose."
-- Deep Thought, Jack Handy

Quick Reply