The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!

View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 80 11.25%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.81%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.56%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 530 74.54%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 77 10.83%
Voters: 711. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #1711
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by owentp View Post
I see! Do you put an actual filter in it or just water? How much water if you do? Do you ever have to empty it? How has it turned out?
No filter in it.
I use a pvc tube in the center to fill it from the bottom up; I found that this works better with than without.
Most of the time I start with it empty (no water); but sometimes I do put water in it without the spunding valve and use it as a regular air lock.
I haven't had to empty it yet during a fermentation; rarely gets over half full.
Just make sure you are using fermcap in the keg; I find that it works best when added right at flameout and stirred in while whirlpooling the hops.
It doesn't balance upright very well; it fell over once and made quite a mess. I cut a milk jug and place it inside to help stabilize it. Be careful with the plastic threads; very easy to strip. A pinhole leak kinda screws things up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2013, 03:34 AM   #1712
owentp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Do you put a full 5 gallons in your keg with the fermcap? When you say that you use a pvc tube are you referring to cpvc & how do you connect it from the port into the housing?

Old 03-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #1713
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Owentp, As regards to your first question, you can, and I have put 5G into a corny. There are some variables, amount of pressure you allow during the first several days of primary, and yeast, I'm sure too.

I think I have a couple of pictures on my link when I did it and successfully, 10 drops, and 10.5 psi.

In Cat Beers - I've Only Had One

BIABrewer.info / Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique

Brewing with MS; http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscie...473769/detail/

Old 03-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #1714
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Owentp, successfully means, all contained in corny. Be careful if you have pellet hops, as they may block up the poppet.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #1715
owentp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry for so many questions. I have looked at your picture but it is not all clear. So did you connect your corny to the filter housing by a hose to a barbed fitting? Then what did you connect the PVC material inside your housing to make this work? I have built the spunding valve itself.

Thanks! This is a cool idea and never thought of using one.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #1716
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by owentp View Post
Sorry for so many questions. I have looked at your picture but it is not all clear. So did you connect your corny to the filter housing by a hose to a barbed fitting? Then what did you connect the PVC material inside your housing to make this work? I have built the spunding valve itself.

Thanks! This is a cool idea and never thought of using one.
I connect my unmodified corny to the filter by a hose and keg quick connect just like you would hook up a CO2 tank. There are concerns about clogging the tiny poppet but I have't yet had this happen. My filter housing has 1/4" FNPT so I use a 1/4" NPT to MFl on both ends. Although not necessary, inside I have a 3/4" PVC pipe in place of a filter just to make sure it fills from the bottom up (it just slides on). Gas flows through the filter housing backwards; gas/fluid moves from the keg down the PVC pipe (OUT side of the filter housing) and out the spunding valve (IN side of the filter housing). Recommend you get a clear body filter housing so you can be sure it does not overflow, can be found online for <$20.

Other notes after trying both methods:
Cost of a spare keg $35-$50; cost of the filter housing and fittings $15-$25.
A spare keg is superior to this set up in performance due to its larger size, stability, and stainless construction.
Filter Housing is easier and quicker to clean and takes up much less space in your fermentation chamber.
Filter Housing clear body allows you to gauge on how much overflow you are getting.
Plastic FNPT fittings suck; if you strip them you will ruin the filter housing.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #1717
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MadScientist View Post
I think I have a couple of pictures on my link when I did it and successfully, 10 drops, and 10.5 psi.
Thanks for this; I have been trying to dial this in for several brews now unsuccessfully so I started doing 4 gallon batches. Tried 12 drops with 5psi and nearly filled my little housing up.
Brewed yesterday and filled all the way up; did 14 drops and 5psi.
If it hasn't taken off by time I get home this afternoon I will add more O2 until it gets to 10psi.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #1718
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredge73 View Post
Thanks for this; I have been trying to dial this in for several brews now unsuccessfully so I started doing 4 gallon batches. Tried 12 drops with 5psi and nearly filled my little housing up.
Brewed yesterday and filled all the way up; did 14 drops and 5psi.
If it hasn't taken off by time I get home this afternoon I will add more O2 until it gets to 10psi.
How did your primary fermentation go using your corny? Did you fill it all the way up and did you get any blow off?

I had a reason to know this week how much volume was at the top seam of my corny, it came to 1 pint short of 5 gallons (like in the older photo of mine shown below, this volume was right at the seam). I added the last pint, and it came to the ridge where it starts to make its curve up.

10/23/11 by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr

Old 03-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #1719
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I filled it to the seam, used 14 drops of fermcap, fermented at 68F, pre-pressured with O2 (not CO2) to 10psi.
Primary completed in under 1 week, less than 1/2" of fluid in my little filter housing. I wasn't home toward the end of fermentation to crank up the pressure but I am very impressed with the low blowoff.
I was afraid that starting at 10psi would affect my fermentation negatively but everything preformed normally (although I haven't tasted the beer yet). I will likely implement this into my technique from here on out.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #1720
Kirbuno
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Spunding Valves

Those valves are probably the coolest thing ever but I still like the cheapies. I bought two of the higher pressure ones and one of the lighter pressure one, and have been using these for about a year and a half now with no issues. I was poo-pooed for getting them but I still like them because they are simple don't get seem to get clogged and can be easily cleaned.

The first is rated as adjustable for 0-20 psi I find it really only holds at about 18 psi or lower, which is great for transfer from keg to corny keg as it has a finer adjustment, it is McMaster-Car #48935K25 found on this page:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/488/=lyrxni
I have been having better luck keeping my final fermentation below 18 anyways. I can always connect the corny's to a higher psi later. (Addendum: After thinking about it for a while I remembered why I use this one for transfer to corny kegs rather than for fermenting. It tends to leak pressure slowly over a period of time. Not important during transfer or initial fermentation but a problem during the last phase of fermenting.)

The second and the one I bought first and still use most using the yellow or weakest spring which is rated at 25 - 50 psi, but I find easily adjustable down to about 2-3 psi and up, is a bit sensitive to adjust, but easy if your tolerance is within + or _ 1 psi, which for me is way close enough. Again simple contruction easy to clean, uses the same body as the first but has a stronger spring and a silicone and brass insert instead of a spring and ball bearing.
This is McMaster-Carr # 50265K23 found on this page:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#brass-relief-valves/=lys25o

If you are on a budget like I am, I love the prices of these, I can buy two or three, and don't have to interchange my setups so much. I would recommend them to anyone who can't taste the difference between a beer that was mostly fermented at 9 psi or 11 psi. Yes they are brass but the beer shouldn't be touching them anyway.
My two cents.

img_20130320_154037-large-.jpg   img_20130320_135554-large-.jpg  

Last edited by Kirbuno; 03-21-2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Added Detail

Quick Reply