New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!

View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 75 11.01%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.94%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.59%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 509 74.74%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 73 10.72%
Voters: 681. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 02:12 AM   #1691
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post
what I was planning on doing is this. take a recipe for a 5 gallon beer. only make 4 gallons. That of course would be a higher gravity beer than the recipe intended. daisy chain 2 corny kegs and have 1 gallon of boiled and cooled water in the second keg. as the fermentation takes place in the first keg, the CO2 would be filtered through the water in second keg and it would carbonate the water. When everything is done and I have 4 gallons of finished carbonated beer, transfer it into the second keg with the 1 gallon of carbonated water. If filled from the liquid out side it should mix with the water as it fills making 5 gallons of beer as intended by the recipe.

think that would work?
Poindexter is doing it, but in a different fashion.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/closed-system-pressurized-fermentation-technique-44344/index78.html#post2839636

I like his other threads too;
Cold Component Keg Creativity
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/cold-component-keg-creativity-50550/#post505672
Spunding valve - video
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/spunding-valve-video-49364/#post492316

In Cat Beers - I've Only Had One
BIABrewer.info / Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique / Primary Fermenting in a Corny Keg

Brewing with MS; http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscientistbrewhaus/sets/72157633528473769/detail/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #1692
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sorry Mysticmead for not answering your question fully, the high gravity brewing wiki describes the general method along with Wortmonger's. I don't know if what you want to do is 'safe', if the combined generated gases would contaminate the gallon of water or not.

I wish someone would chime in so I could get my answer about if it would 'wash' the 'sticky' gas away and protect the sounding valve.

In Cat Beers - I've Only Had One
BIABrewer.info / Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique / Primary Fermenting in a Corny Keg

Brewing with MS; http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscientistbrewhaus/sets/72157633528473769/detail/

Old 02-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #1693
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1196 Times on 789 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MadScientist View Post
I wish someone would chime in so I could get my answer about if it would 'wash' the 'sticky' gas away and protect the sounding valve.
I'm skeptical that a bubbler would be effective at scrubbing out aerosolized carbohydrates, though I've never tried it. Likewise, I can't imagine desiccant would act fast enough to be effective. I've been really happy with the simple inline filter I've got. It seems like a cheap, small, and effective solution as far as I can tell.

For what it's worth, too, I don't want to overstate the corrosion on the spunding valve. I've been using mine with a water trap for some time now and have had very little trouble, despite significant abuse. It'd be nice to have a solid stainless unit just for cleaning purposes, but I'm very happy with the options that exist in the meantime.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 AM   #1694
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet

I'm skeptical that a bubbler would be effective at scrubbing out aerosolized carbohydrates, though I've never tried it. Likewise, I can't imagine desiccant would act fast enough to be effective. I've been really happy with the simple inline filter I've got. It seems like a cheap, small, and effective solution as far as I can tell.

For what it's worth, too, I don't want to overstate the corrosion on the spunding valve. I've been using mine with a water trap for some time now and have had very little trouble, despite significant abuse. It'd be nice to have a solid stainless unit just for cleaning purposes, but I'm very happy with the options that exist in the meantime.
Not trying to start a war, just friendly conversation. So, I've got no proof for my argument, but if you push an aerosol through a liquid wouldn't it scrub it, especially since the water is a lower SG than beer. I assume it would bubble through the water and have to scrub out because its heavier than the water.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:38 AM   #1695
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1196 Times on 789 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy85 View Post
Not trying to start a war, just friendly conversation. So, I've got no proof for my argument, but if you push an aerosol through a liquid wouldn't it scrub it, especially since the water is a lower SG than beer. I assume it would bubble through the water and have to scrub out because its heavier than the water.
War? Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression! I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you.

Anyway, I guess I'm not really clear what kind of mechanism you're proposing here. Certainly some aerosolized solids could fall out, but we're talking about large bubbles that won't even have collapsed by the time they hit the surface again. You've got a big pocket of gas that travels up more or less intact. How would this filter the CO2?

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-24-2013, 03:40 AM   #1696
uberg33k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Wouldn't putting the micromatic co2 filter in line between the keg and the spunding valve be enough to "unsticky" the air before it hits the valve?

Old 02-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #1697
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet

War? Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression! I didn't mean to sound like I was attacking you.

Anyway, I guess I'm not really clear what kind of mechanism you're proposing here. Certainly some aerosolized solids could fall out, but we're talking about large bubbles that won't even have collapsed by the time they hit the surface again. You've got a big pocket of gas that travels up more or less intact. How would this filter the CO2?
No, you were fine. I just have a habit of coming across a bit strong, do wanted to just put it out there before I started what if you used a down tube in the filter housing that runs under some type of diffuser such as a pot scrubber to break up the bubbles?

Old 02-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #1698
-MG-
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MG- View Post
I'm back to my pressure fermenting in a sanke and ran into a problem. My relief valves from grainger don't seem to be releasing anything!

I've done several batches using them and wondering if maybe at some point some wort sealed them up or something? I have two identical ones and both aren't working.

I currently am just manually releasing pressure on the sanke's relief valve to keep it around 5. I am going to take a gravity reading shortly here to see where I am at and maybe can just let it ramp up at this point, but really confused. I try completely opening and closing them without any sound or movement on the psi gauge.

So I soak them in PBW or something?
So I soaked one of my valves in oxiclean overnight, and no change... Is there a way to take this thing apart?

Old 02-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #1699
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -MG-

So I soaked one of my valves in oxiclean overnight, and no change... Is there a way to take this thing apart?
Yes, just un-crank it all the way and then it hits resistance. I can't remember if there is a screw in the black handle or not, but if there is remove it before un-screwing past the resistance. When putting it back together, try to keep it level while screwing. You will see when it is apart why. Should have a steel spring and a cone-shaped metal plug to act as the gas stop. This is the one I am currently using that has a corroded spring and corroded plug. There are nicks in the plug and the spring looks rusted. Let us know how yours looks please. I have to try the one even I recommend last before I go have anything else machined, or spend the bucks to have a MalFet copy which sounds very fun btw.

PS, if the plug doesn't come out it is stuck and you have to punch it out.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 02-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #1700
-MG-
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Mine has a screw on the end which I removed. However, after twisting the valve all the way open (farthest back) to which the valve won't turn anymore, it won't budge. I even took a nail to the inside (where the spring is) and tried to hammer that valve off and it still won't budge. I wasn't too aggressive on the swings, but can't believe its not budging. Maybe a hot water soak?

Quick Reply