Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!

View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 81 11.33%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.80%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.56%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 533 74.55%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 77 10.77%
Voters: 715. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #1681
kwadric
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Do you think that you could water filter out the "sticky vapor" in the gas? Something simple like using a reservoir a quarter full of water where the gas enters below the liquid level and the vent to the spunding valve is at the top. That might trap any "sticky vapor" in the water, but I think that any steel would still rust.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #1682
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwadric View Post
Do you think that you could water filter out the "sticky vapor" in the gas? Something simple like using a reservoir a quarter full of water where the gas enters below the liquid level and the vent to the spunding valve is at the top. That might trap any "sticky vapor" in the water, but I think that any steel would still rust.
I use one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-4755-Oi...ine+air+filter

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #1683
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet
I may have missed this idea earlier in the thread, but could you also just run the CO2 under water, then through the pressure regulating valve? Think water bong. The water should scrub out all the stickies shouldn't it? It water wond would some cheap vodka?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #1684
kwadric
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Probably a better idea than what I suggested. The oil/water filter is designed to keep moisture created by the compressor out of pneumatic devices. Water filtration is an simple industrial method to remove particles from exhaust.

Islandboy... that is exactly what I was talking about.

Malfet, are you also having rust issues w your spunding?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #1685
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwadric
Malfet, are you also having rust issues w your spunding?
I use a digital mass flow controller with inline pressure transducer. It's the same principle as a spring-driven spunding valve, but it is controlled by a microprocessor. I am, however, having some trouble with the valve on that. I'm going to take it apart tonight and hope I can clean it.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #1686
owentp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I read your article about controlle back-pressure relief and was wondering how you made the sampling tube and you mention that you got some yeast coming out of your valve? Was that the control valve that you set the pressure? I have a set-up for a corny keg and just want to know how much of a mess I could have on my hands.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #1687
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

With all the talk this month about spunding valves corroding and meeting their early demise, can we add enough water to our 'ganged' corny (or other pressure tank, i.e. water filter housing) that the water is above the beverage tube?, like kwadric mentioned.

I'm guessing that the water filter housing can be fitted with a down tube.

Would this principle work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankePankey View Post
1) Find a way to prohibit krausen from getting all up in your spunding valve. Mine is to use a second pressure vessel (corny) that is ganged to my primary as a blow-off collector- and I put the spunding valve on it. Another way would be to just not fill as high as I do.
I also use a corny for this purpose (to protect the spunding valve), I got the idea from this thread from Poindexter.

In Cat Beers - I've Only Had One

BIABrewer.info / Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique

Brewing with MS; http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscie...473769/detail/

Old 02-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #1688
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MadScientist View Post
With all the talk this month about spunding valves corroding and meeting their early demise, can we add enough water to our 'ganged' corny (or other pressure tank, i.e. water filter housing) that the water is above the beverage tube?, like kwadric mentioned.

I'm guessing that the water filter housing can be fitted with a down tube.

Would this principle work?

I also use a corny for this purpose (to protect the spunding valve), I got the idea from this thread from Poindexter.
what I was planning on doing is this. take a recipe for a 5 gallon beer. only make 4 gallons. That of course would be a higher gravity beer than the recipe intended. daisy chain 2 corny kegs and have 1 gallon of boiled and cooled water in the second keg. as the fermentation takes place in the first keg, the CO2 would be filtered through the water in second keg and it would carbonate the water. When everything is done and I have 4 gallons of finished carbonated beer, transfer it into the second keg with the 1 gallon of carbonated water. If filled from the liquid out side it should mix with the water as it fills making 5 gallons of beer as intended by the recipe.

think that would work?

Old 02-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #1689
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead

what I was planning on doing is this. take a recipe for a 5 gallon beer. only make 4 gallons. That of course would be a higher gravity beer than the recipe intended. daisy chain 2 corny kegs and have 1 gallon of boiled and cooled water in the second keg. as the fermentation takes place in the first keg, the CO2 would be filtered through the water in second keg and it would carbonate the water. When everything is done and I have 4 gallons of finished carbonated beer, transfer it into the second keg with the 1 gallon of carbonated water. If filled from the liquid out side it should mix with the water as it fills making 5 gallons of beer as intended by the recipe.

think that would work?
So long as you're not trying that with a high gravity recipe to start with it sounds good. Don't want to stress the yeast.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:12 AM   #1690
1MadScientist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead View Post

think that would work?
Poindexter is doing it, but in a different fashion.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/clos...ml#post2839636

I like his other threads too;
Cold Component Keg Creativity
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/cold...50/#post505672
Spunding valve - video
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/spun...64/#post492316

In Cat Beers - I've Only Had One

BIABrewer.info / Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique

Brewing with MS; http://www.flickr.com/photos/madscie...473769/detail/

Quick Reply