Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!
View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 83 11.16%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 21 2.82%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.54%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 556 74.73%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 80 10.75%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #1581
Lennie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah I would say the pressure will go through the roof in short order if not vented. Fortunately for me I have a relief valve on the Brewhemoth. Is there none on your setup? Its a good idea just in case the spunding valve gets clogged. Glad you weren't hurt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #1582
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well I got back on the saddle after over a years hiatus and it went smooth. Brown beer and a healthy starter meant lift-off before I awoke the next morning... And about 20 psi. Oops, guess I forgot what pressures vs the numbers on my spunding valve. Next time I'm going full open until I wake up. The cropper/spunding setup (10" water filter housing sans water filter) worked great. While relieving the initial pressure I had to clean it out and re-sanitize 3-4 times, but after that it looks to be working a dream. Wlp007 is a beast. I have the fermentation freezer set at 64 and it is ripping through the wort like it has a license to kill!

I was going to let it ride at 10 psi until day three and then crank up to carbonation pressure along with a 4-day rise to 70*F. I might need to do this after day 2 as fast as the yeast is going. There is nothing sluggish about 007 @ 64*F apparently. What do you guys think that have used this yeast before? This is a first for me.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #1583
WortMonger

Recipes 

Here's a picture of the cropper/spunding setup for you guys.

image-3249501292.jpg  

Old 10-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #1584
Kirbuno
Recipes 

[QUOTE=WortMonger;4479967] Wlp007 is a beast. I have the fermentation freezer set at 64 and it is ripping through the wort like it has a license to kill!
QUOTE]

I used WLP 007 on an Oatmeal Stout just this summer. I brewed 10.25 gallons in a 15.3 keg, piched two vials straight from the cold storage at constant 70 degrees. Piched around 5PM, the next morning I had wort sprayed all over the side of the fridge but with no liquid accumulation, the VPR was still hissing full bore. This was a surprise as blow over shouldn't have been a problem with 5 gal of overhead space. Hit my target SG on the third day! Turned out great, made great beer. Would use it again.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #1585
WortMonger

Recipes 

Yeah, I went ahead an ramped the temp up to 70*F and the pressure up to 20 psi for wanted volumes of carbonation. I fear there is not enough left to carbonate with it went so fast. We'll see when I get home today. This beer is going to crash to 35*F as soon as Saturday morning. Should be nice and clean by then, both what the yeast needed to eat up and then for them to go to sleep.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:08 AM   #1586
Kirbuno
Recipes 

I took my time and waited a full seven days after my SF was hit as I have come to the conclusion that this technique takes a while for the yeast to clean up.I have rushed it and have had some batches with diacetyl tastes. I have been giving extra time and have been getting better results. I haven't done a search, but am I alone in that assumption?

Old 10-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #1587
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbuno View Post
I took my time and waited a full seven days after my SF was hit as I have come to the conclusion that this technique takes a while for the yeast to clean up.I have rushed it and have had some batches with diacetyl tastes. I have been giving extra time and have been getting better results. I haven't done a search, but am I alone in that assumption?
What is your technique? Are you raising the temperature with the pressure?
Drinking: RIS, Coffee RIS, Jalapeno RIS, Heavy Hopper v2, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy

Old 10-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #1588
henryred
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just made a octoberfest ale on 9/25 brought to wedding on 10/6. 10 days old. Was a hit all 5 gals gone in 4 hours with about 15 people drinking it. Pressures were 30 to 50 psi for the first. 4 to 6 days at 65 to 68 degrees. Used second cornie for blow off. Wad a good beer. Should have made 5 gals!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #1589
WortMonger

Recipes 

30 to 50 psi for the start, wow! My new regiment when I can remember to set the valve right is 0 psi until it starts producing CO2, then up to 10 until the majority of gravity is gone. Then I up the temperature and pressure in retrospect for carbonation while cleaning up the diacetyl. Then cold crash and see if my pressure drops like it should and vent any excess carbonation then. Last a counter-pressure transfer into a clean/sanitized/CO2 purged keg for serving and roll it to the kegerator.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #1590
Kirbuno
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstar26t View Post
What is your technique? Are you raising the temperature with the pressure?
Depending on the yeast I tend to keep the temps up to around 68 to 70 during the whole process now. I used to start colder but talked to a local microbrewer who said they get their award winning brews by keeping the yeast happy and warmer to get less stress and more healthy yeast. So I have been following that course the last 6 months or so. As for pressure, when I started this process a little over a year and a half ago I started at 10 and tried to finish at 20psi or higher. I found though that I was having a hard time hitting my FG. WortMonger just posted after you and funny enough hit my current practice on the nose, except that I don't raise the temp as I am already at or around 70 deg.
I quote:
"My new regiment when I can remember to set the valve right is 0 psi until it starts producing CO2, then up to 10 until the majority of gravity is gone. Then I up the temperature and pressure in retrospect for carbonation while cleaning up the diacetyl. Then cold crash and see if my pressure drops like it should and vent any excess carbonation then. Last a counter-pressure transfer into a clean/sanitized/CO2 purged keg for serving and roll it to the kegerator. "

Quick Reply