New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!

View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 75 11.01%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.94%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.59%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 509 74.74%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 73 10.72%
Voters: 681. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #1581
Zamial
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Be warned!

Well, I had my 1st bad experience doing this Thursday. It was my fault but I wanted to share this so folks understand that there is the potential for disaster of the worst kind. Thankfully all I lost was a batch of beer.

I had a brew party last Saturday for Oktoberfest. I had 2 1/2bbls that we drank about 1/2 of each for the party. At the party I made 2 batches of beer. I got the yeast pitched 36 hours later because the starter got made a bit late and needed to crash cool. no big deal. I own 2 "spunding valves" and got 1 on the big batch but needed the other one to transfer the beer from the 1/2 full 1/2bbls into 1/4bbls so they would fit into my kegerator, which I did that afternoon.

Well, I spaced out and things got away from me. I did not get the valve on the 2nd keg that evening. I saw this was the case the next morning and the day got the better of me again and so I got the valve all cleaned and sanitized and went to attach it that afternoon. I barley applied the handle down on the coupler when a "PFFT!" that was deafeningly loud went off. The pressure blew the picnic tap wide open, the pressure release valve on the coupler and the spunding valve in under 1 nano second. (Please note I did not have the couple engaged completely, thank the brew gods for that.)

The cat went 3 feet straight up from a dead sleep and I about pissed myself. I started to "pump" the coupler handle with the the picnic tap in a bucket to attempt to release some of the pressure. 3 buckets of foam later and the keg was 1/2 empty and the pressure issue was not noticeably better. I grabbed the 1/4bbl and took into the bathroom to "vent" it into the tub. By the time I got the coupler to engage enough to use the pressure relief valve on said coupler I had about 2 quarts left in the keg of foamy "stuff".

I lost a batch of beer and no one was injured but I estimate that the pressure in the keg was about 50psi which is what the kegs are rated for. Thank the brew gods that most ratings in the US are conservative and the keg did not rupture. I literally had a pressure bomb in my house that feasibly would have ruptured with a force that is greater than what people may be able to conceive.

Learn from my mistake. If you do/can not immediately attach the spunding valve DO NOT PITCH THE YEAST!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2012, 11:53 AM   #1582
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah I would say the pressure will go through the roof in short order if not vented. Fortunately for me I have a relief valve on the Brewhemoth. Is there none on your setup? Its a good idea just in case the spunding valve gets clogged. Glad you weren't hurt.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #1583
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well I got back on the saddle after over a years hiatus and it went smooth. Brown beer and a healthy starter meant lift-off before I awoke the next morning... And about 20 psi. Oops, guess I forgot what pressures vs the numbers on my spunding valve. Next time I'm going full open until I wake up. The cropper/spunding setup (10" water filter housing sans water filter) worked great. While relieving the initial pressure I had to clean it out and re-sanitize 3-4 times, but after that it looks to be working a dream. Wlp007 is a beast. I have the fermentation freezer set at 64 and it is ripping through the wort like it has a license to kill!

I was going to let it ride at 10 psi until day three and then crank up to carbonation pressure along with a 4-day rise to 70*F. I might need to do this after day 2 as fast as the yeast is going. There is nothing sluggish about 007 @ 64*F apparently. What do you guys think that have used this yeast before? This is a first for me.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #1584
WortMonger

Recipes 

Here's a picture of the cropper/spunding setup for you guys.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #1585
Kirbuno
Recipes 

[QUOTE=WortMonger;4479967] Wlp007 is a beast. I have the fermentation freezer set at 64 and it is ripping through the wort like it has a license to kill!
QUOTE]

I used WLP 007 on an Oatmeal Stout just this summer. I brewed 10.25 gallons in a 15.3 keg, piched two vials straight from the cold storage at constant 70 degrees. Piched around 5PM, the next morning I had wort sprayed all over the side of the fridge but with no liquid accumulation, the VPR was still hissing full bore. This was a surprise as blow over shouldn't have been a problem with 5 gal of overhead space. Hit my target SG on the third day! Turned out great, made great beer. Would use it again.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #1586
WortMonger

Recipes 

Yeah, I went ahead an ramped the temp up to 70*F and the pressure up to 20 psi for wanted volumes of carbonation. I fear there is not enough left to carbonate with it went so fast. We'll see when I get home today. This beer is going to crash to 35*F as soon as Saturday morning. Should be nice and clean by then, both what the yeast needed to eat up and then for them to go to sleep.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:08 AM   #1587
Kirbuno
Recipes 

I took my time and waited a full seven days after my SF was hit as I have come to the conclusion that this technique takes a while for the yeast to clean up.I have rushed it and have had some batches with diacetyl tastes. I have been giving extra time and have been getting better results. I haven't done a search, but am I alone in that assumption?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #1588
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbuno View Post
I took my time and waited a full seven days after my SF was hit as I have come to the conclusion that this technique takes a while for the yeast to clean up.I have rushed it and have had some batches with diacetyl tastes. I have been giving extra time and have been getting better results. I haven't done a search, but am I alone in that assumption?
What is your technique? Are you raising the temperature with the pressure?

Next: Pre-Prohibition Pilsner
Fermenting: Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: 1830's Mild, Rye Session IPA, Lambic, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Wee-Heavy, Tripel

Old 10-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #1589
henryred
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just made a octoberfest ale on 9/25 brought to wedding on 10/6. 10 days old. Was a hit all 5 gals gone in 4 hours with about 15 people drinking it. Pressures were 30 to 50 psi for the first. 4 to 6 days at 65 to 68 degrees. Used second cornie for blow off. Wad a good beer. Should have made 5 gals!

Old 10-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #1590
WortMonger

Recipes 

30 to 50 psi for the start, wow! My new regiment when I can remember to set the valve right is 0 psi until it starts producing CO2, then up to 10 until the majority of gravity is gone. Then I up the temperature and pressure in retrospect for carbonation while cleaning up the diacetyl. Then cold crash and see if my pressure drops like it should and vent any excess carbonation then. Last a counter-pressure transfer into a clean/sanitized/CO2 purged keg for serving and roll it to the kegerator.

Quick Reply