Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!
View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 82 11.33%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.76%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.55%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 539 74.45%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 79 10.91%
Voters: 724. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #1571
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 22

spundify!

now i just hope if fits in my little fridge with the gauge on so i can cool it and have it reach cold equilibrium before i have to remove that gauge! minor design oversight but never mind

spundage.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #1572
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick
spundify!

now i just hope if fits in my little fridge with the gauge on so i can cool it and have it reach cold equilibrium before i have to remove that gauge! minor design oversight but never mind
That is a slick little sounding valve. I built mine along with the pressure gauge onto a gas disconnect. It sets it off nearly horizontal. If you run out of headroom that's another option. It also is immediately swappable to another keg if needed.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 09-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #1573
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

All great spunding valves guys!

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #1574
haeffnkr
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Hi,
I tried to read through most of this...not in order, sorry

I am wanting to try this process....
If I planned to brew up about, say 9 gallons in the fermenter, left some trub in the boil kettle and put 4.25 gallons each corny would that work?

How high does Krausen get in a corny with out fermcap?

thanks Kevin

Old 10-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #1575
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Liked 1235 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by haeffnkr View Post
Hi,

If I planned to brew up about, say 9 gallons in the fermenter, left some trub in the boil kettle and put 4.25 gallons each corny would that work?

thanks Kevin
It depends significantly on yeast strain, fermentation temperature, and OG. I fill up to the weld line, which is right around 5 gallons, and end up only with a few ounces of blow off, but that's with Fermcap.

The best thing to do is to build a water trap using a water-filter housing, and to set that up between your corny and your spunding valve. That way, you catch the blow-off without clogging your valve. Saves a lot of headache

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #1576
E-Mursed
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Can you post a pic of the water trap set up?

I like that idea better than using a blowoff set up.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” – Leonardo da Vinci
"A set back is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford

Old 10-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #1577
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/

Recipes 

Liked 1235 Times on 821 Posts
Likes Given: 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Mursed View Post
Can you post a pic of the water trap set up?

I like that idea better than using a blowoff set up.
This isn't a great pic, but you can get the notion in this post:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/closed-system-pressurized-fermentation-technique-44344/#post4004981

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #1578
Kirbuno
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Fermenting Overflow Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by haeffnkr View Post
Hi,

thanks Kevin
To me the easiest way, if you have the room in your fermenting area, is to use a third keg, connect from the gas out of both main kegs to the third keg liquid using a Y connection or could do it in series as well. Then fit your pressure regulator to the gas outlet of your third keg. Then you don't have to worry about overflow and you could do the whole 10+ gallons. Hope this helps, it has been mentioned before, and it works for me! One precaution I have found with this is that you don't want much trub or esp. dry hopping as it can/will in the case of the dry hopping clog the small openings in your connections quite easily if you have much in the way of hop solids. Keep an eye on the system to ensure all is flowing well by using clear hoses.

Last edited by Kirbuno; 10-03-2012 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Wanted to add a precaution.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #1579
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts

I can't wait to use my new cropper trap spunding valve this weekend! I bought a water filter housing especially for this application. I hope it works first to catch the stuff that normally gunned up my SV, and secondly to catch some highly active yeast for future batches. I have never used top cropped yeast before.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #1580
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Be warned!

Well, I had my 1st bad experience doing this Thursday. It was my fault but I wanted to share this so folks understand that there is the potential for disaster of the worst kind. Thankfully all I lost was a batch of beer.

I had a brew party last Saturday for Oktoberfest. I had 2 1/2bbls that we drank about 1/2 of each for the party. At the party I made 2 batches of beer. I got the yeast pitched 36 hours later because the starter got made a bit late and needed to crash cool. no big deal. I own 2 "spunding valves" and got 1 on the big batch but needed the other one to transfer the beer from the 1/2 full 1/2bbls into 1/4bbls so they would fit into my kegerator, which I did that afternoon.

Well, I spaced out and things got away from me. I did not get the valve on the 2nd keg that evening. I saw this was the case the next morning and the day got the better of me again and so I got the valve all cleaned and sanitized and went to attach it that afternoon. I barley applied the handle down on the coupler when a "PFFT!" that was deafeningly loud went off. The pressure blew the picnic tap wide open, the pressure release valve on the coupler and the spunding valve in under 1 nano second. (Please note I did not have the couple engaged completely, thank the brew gods for that.)

The cat went 3 feet straight up from a dead sleep and I about pissed myself. I started to "pump" the coupler handle with the the picnic tap in a bucket to attempt to release some of the pressure. 3 buckets of foam later and the keg was 1/2 empty and the pressure issue was not noticeably better. I grabbed the 1/4bbl and took into the bathroom to "vent" it into the tub. By the time I got the coupler to engage enough to use the pressure relief valve on said coupler I had about 2 quarts left in the keg of foamy "stuff".

I lost a batch of beer and no one was injured but I estimate that the pressure in the keg was about 50psi which is what the kegs are rated for. Thank the brew gods that most ratings in the US are conservative and the keg did not rupture. I literally had a pressure bomb in my house that feasibly would have ruptured with a force that is greater than what people may be able to conceive.

Learn from my mistake. If you do/can not immediately attach the spunding valve DO NOT PITCH THE YEAST!

Quick Reply