Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!
View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 83 11.23%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.71%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.54%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 552 74.70%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 80 10.83%
Voters: 739. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #1501
Jknapp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed my 1st batch with a spunding valve 2.5 weeks ago. Its already kegged and tastes great! It was an Apricot Wheat - I know, I know - wheats are good beers to get through a system fast, BUT, I've never turned around a beer this fast. I brewed it and 10 days later kegged it. Tastes great. No esters, no green taste. Very, very clean actually.
I "no-chilled" from kettle into a 10 gal corney, seated the lid with 25 psi and rolled it around to sanitize. Next day, pitched a starter, hit it with 5 psi. For 36 hours I left my spunding valve set to 5psi (although in that timeframe after CO2 absorbed, the gauge dropped and read in the 1-2 psi range). Each day after that I increased the pressure slightly ending on day 10 at which point the psi began to drop signifying absorbtion. Took a hydro reading and a taste. I hit my final number and transferred to keg. I didnt cold crash.
I brewed a batch of Ed Worts Robust Porter last weekend.. We'll see if that one turns around as fast. I really think this could be the way to go!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #1502
DobrePivo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Using this technique now to streamline my process. I put a 10gal batch of CZ Pils into two 5gal Cornies.

For pressure relief I'm using something that we sell in the 4WD industry. These devices are automatic tire deflators, which are actually adjustable low pressure relief valves. We use them to deflate tires for more traction when climbing obstacles. These ones run about 40 bucks for 4 of them, which makes it easily affordable for homebrewing. I've got them hooked into the system with 'snifter valves' that came from the plumbing section of my local hardware store. I've got about 30 bucks into each of my spunding valves. So far I'm enjoying the closed fermentation technique.

forumrunner_20120615_061005.jpg

Old 06-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #1503
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Good to still hear positives about everyone's progress with the technique. Jamil didn't have anything good to say about it, but it seems to make great beer and is very streamlined.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"
Mysticmead Likes This 
Old 06-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #1504
lud
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

What did Jamil have to say about it?

Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #1505
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by lud View Post
What did Jamil have to say about it?

Jamil isn't the end all be all of the brewing world. if he didn't like it then that's fine...for him. those that try it and love it.. GREAT! If someone tries it and it isn't working for them and they go back to the way that works for them then that's fine too. I would be interested in finding out if Jamil even tried it or if he just dismissed the entire idea. But as far as what he had to say, that doesn't really matter in the long run

Old 06-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #1506
lud
Recipes 

Couldn't agree with you more...but still would like to hear what others have to say about it. All I've heard are the positives...

Old 06-21-2012, 09:07 AM   #1507
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One of the greatest advantages in my opinion is that by maintaining positive pressure, temperature changes keep the pressure above 0. I don't like it when I age for weeks with an airlock and air bubbles in at night and out daytime. Once CO2 production has ceased, dropping even a fraction of a degree, within the limits of all common temp control methods, will pull oxygen into the headspace above the beer. This is not good. Using a spund prevents this. Win win. Plus you can do all the other neat stuff like 15psi ferments and natural carbng if you want to. It's my main reason about the positive pressure that convinced me that it was a no-brainer to build a spund setup.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #1508
lud
Recipes 

Again...I've heard,read, and seen the advantages...has anyone experienced/read about any negative effects?

Old 06-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #1509
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1267 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 583

Quote:
Originally Posted by lud View Post
Again...I've heard,read, and seen the advantages...has anyone experienced/read about any negative effects?
I heard the podcast where Jamil talked about it recently, though I can't remember which one it is off hand. He didn't have anything particularly bad to say about it, but his response was more "why bother?".

He said you'd get lower ester production under pressure, which is desirable for some styles and not for others, but of course you can bump ester production back up by increasing temps by a few degrees. Otherwise, he didn't indicate that pressurized fermentation would give you better or worse beer.

I'm inclined to agree with that view. I've been thrilled with pressurized fermentation because it streamlines my process tremendously. For others (like Jamil apparently), the advantages might not outweigh the slight added complexity. But that's the punchline: all the advantages and disadvantages you'll get from pressurized fermentation are really only about how it fits in with the rest of your process.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

tomroeder Likes This 
Old 06-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #1510
lud
Recipes 

I've tried to find that podcast, but couldn't....thanks though!

Quick Reply