Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!
View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 83 11.16%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 21 2.82%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.54%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 556 74.73%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 80 10.75%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #1491
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

Cold crashing in this case really helps transferring for me.
Other than the benefits of a compact yeast cake and a clear beer transfer; it drops the pressure in the keg significantly. It will take 25psi down to about 7psi; so I can counter pressure transfer with less CO2 and at lower pressure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #1492
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jknapp View Post
O. M. G. What an epic thread!

I just got done reading this entire thread and I have a question that isn't answered here..

I'm an Ale brewer only. I keg my beers, but serve out of 3 gal kegs. I normally ferment in an Ale Pail, but I have a functioning 10 gallon Corny. I don't have the ability to crash cool my entire batch - 10 gal corny won't fit in my beverage fridge..

So, I ask - is there any value for a brewer like me in Closed System Pressurized Fermenting with a Spunding Valve if I can't crash cool the entire batch before transferring to serving kegs?

I was thinking the value for me would be not having to mess with the swamp cooler/ice bottle situation (ester control) and also using the Spunding valve to add a little sparkle (ie free carbonation) to my beer at the end of fermenting.

Anybody else in my situation but employing this technique?
My biggest complaint of this process is the junk I get in my glass. It wasn't terrible, just that it took a lot of not so perfect pours before it cleared up. Last time I brewed, hops plugged my keg dip tube, so I got some cool filter screens for transferring wort to the fermenter to get as much junk out as possible. Cutting the dip tube of the fermenter keg about 1/2" is next on my list.

Just remember that you can always transfer the chilled 5 gal keg to another at any time. So technically transferring warm from the 10 gal keg and then adding gelatin and chilling for a week with the line connected to even up the pressure and then transferring to a clean keg would give you good results.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #1493
lagavulin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll take it apart tonight -- thanks for the insight.

Cheers!

Old 05-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #1494
CoalCracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 35

This thread is so large so I'm not sure if it was asked. Can you use the pressure from the keg to push the beer through a filter on the way to the keg? Or would I still need another source of Co2?

coalcrackerbrewing.blogspot.com
Vintage Kegerator Build
1 BBL Tippy Dump

Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #1495
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCracker View Post
This thread is so large so I'm not sure if it was asked. Can you use the pressure from the keg to push the beer through a filter on the way to the keg? Or would I still need another source of Co2?
I guess if you took a cold pressurized keg and ran it through a filter and into an empty keg with a relief valve set to a little below the pressure of the full keg, it would probably do the job. Then you could adjust the relief valve a little as you go to make up for the pressure drops of the co2 coming out of suspension. The problem though is that the receiving keg would fill with beer that is being flattened as the co2 is coming out of suspension and would foam up some. Worth a try to experiment though.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #1496
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I think you'll find you would run out of pressure. There isn't a lot of head space in a corny fermentor so the amount of extra pressure is minimal. You'd need a CO2 tank to push it.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #1497
mredge73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCracker View Post
I think it would be possible to do this without a CO2 source but I have never tried it. Lets say your final pressure is around 35psi at 70degrees in the primary keg. Cap your empty serving keg and connect your two liquid terminals. You will get a lot of foam in your empty keg at first but eventually the pressure in both will equalize. Wait a while for the foam to drop and then slowly vent the serving keg until all liquid transfers. I would suspect that your final pressure will be under 15psi at 70degrees. Your beer will end up a little flat due to this process so you should probably add a little priming sugar before you start and wait for it to do its magic. Or only do this to lightly carbonated brews.
Good luck!

Old 05-25-2012, 01:56 AM   #1498
cmuench
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
I've accidentally done this when I thought my CO2 tank was on and it wasn't. The beer filtered just fine and filled the serving keg fine but then ran out of steam. Then I noticed my valve was closed.

Depending on how much volume of beer you're talking it may work but obviously at the expense of beer carbonation.

You could overshoot your expected volume of CO2 at your fermentation temp, cold crash then let the beer push itself through the filter and hope your final CO2 volume is correct. But you may squeeze the yeast too much and not fully attenuate.

I think you're better off having a tank...

Old 05-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #1499
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

If you had 2.5gal of beer in a 5gal corny, you'd drop the pressure in the head space by half in the process of moving that beer out. If you had enough pressure that there was still enough to overcome the filter resistance at the end, the beer would move. Of course as your pressure is dropping, the resistance of the filter is increasing due to stuff accumulating on the filter media. The problem is worse when you have 4gal in a 5gal vessel. At that point moving the beer out will lower the pressure by a factor of 5, so you'd need to start with 5x the pressure required to push the beer through the filter. I'm guessing you need 10psi to push the last of the beer through a filter. After all, you need 4psi just to run beer through a hose into your glass at a decent rate. So to have 10psi at the end of transfer you'd need 50psi in the corny. Thats a little much for a corny and certainly too much to be getting through spunding. I've read that at 40+PSI all yeast activity stops.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #1500
StMarcos
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts

http://e-z-caps.com/

Seems to imply they are spunding.

I came across this in a totally unrelated search!

Quick Reply