Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!

View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 81 11.27%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.78%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.56%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 535 74.41%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 79 10.99%
Voters: 719. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 04:05 AM   #1471
Dgonza9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Anyone know where I can get some sanke ring removal knives?

Morebeer adds to the cart, but comes up with $0 price. St. Pats brewing has them, for $35 for a 3 pack. Can't seem to find them anywhere else for reasonable price. Is homebrewing.com the same as morebeer?

cheers.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #1472
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have had better luck with those small flat-headed screwdrivers companies give away as advertisement. They are free... just sayin'.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 05-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #1473
cmuench
Recipes 

I agree with Wort. I bought some of those knives from chicompany.net I think. I've never used them. They seem flimsy to me but maybe I don't know how to use them.

The cheap little screwdriver works great.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:14 AM   #1474
cosmatics
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Holy cow, what a thread. I don't know what I've been reading for the past 3 hours, but I'm glad I did, lol. I have a simple question that was probably answered a million times, in the early stages of fermenting you have a blowoff tube prior to putting on a spunding valve.

So my question, how is this done without contaminating the process? The CO2 is being released quickly so no danger there, but I'm still confused exactly as to functionally this process is done.

Thanks.

John

Old 05-15-2012, 01:56 AM   #1475
cmuench
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmatics
Holy cow, what a thread. I don't know what I've been reading for the past 3 hours, but I'm glad I did, lol. I have a simple question that was probably answered a million times, in the early stages of fermenting you have a blowoff tube prior to putting on a spunding valve.

So my question, how is this done without contaminating the process? The CO2 is being released quickly so no danger there, but I'm still confused exactly as to functionally this process is done.

Thanks.

John
This is how I pressure ferment. I connect a blow off tube to my setup without the spunding valve for the first 48 hours. Just a tube into a bucket of Sanitizer just like you're fermenting in a carboy. Then remove the tube attach the spunding valve and gradually ramp up the pressure.

It works great for me.

The reason I do it this way is I ferment 15 gallons in a Sankey. When I've tried the spunding earlier in the process it gets plugged with hop particulate from the krausen and the pressure skyrockets. It's a pain to keep removing the valve and cleaning it. So I've gone to this hybrid technique and it seems to work well.

Let us know how you do.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #1476
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1218 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmatics View Post

Thanks.

John
Others use a water-filter housing to act as a water trap. I start my fermentations at 5psi and stay there until the very end.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #1477
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Well for starters some use a blow off others don't (I'm in the latter camp). That being said; I have done it with an airlock in the past. I have my pressure gauge attached with a quick disconnect. If I want; I simply attach an airlock to the disconnect with a short length of hose for a few days them swap it out for the pressure gauge. The co2 is heavier than air so it acts as a buffers and won't let contaminated in via air.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:25 AM   #1478
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalFet View Post
Others use a water-filter housing to act as a water trap. I start my fermentations at 5psi and stay there until the very end.
I generally ferment 11-12 gallons in a sanke. With this much head space I've never really had the need for a blow off. I set mine to 7psi and let her roll. The pressure also keeps krausen down.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 05-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #1479
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just finished a 15 gallon ferment in a sanke and I went the airlock route for the first three days then installed my pressure rig. It was a pilsner in budvar yeast and it was a violent fermentation. Finished product came out great and is currently in the kegerator.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:08 PM   #1480
Lennie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flananuts View Post
I just finished a 15 gallon ferment in a sanke and I went the airlock route for the first three days then installed my pressure rig. It was a pilsner in budvar yeast and it was a violent fermentation. Finished product came out great and is currently in the kegerator.
What temp did you ferment at? I don't have much temp control on my unit so I'm sticking to ales right now. I put a box fan blowing on the Brewhemoth conical in the basement and I can keep the ferm at 66-68F at the peak of activity, I doubt this is good enough for a lager and I hate to gamble with 15gal of beer.

Quick Reply