Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!
View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 83 11.16%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 21 2.82%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.54%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 556 74.73%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 80 10.75%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #1461
Lennie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If it doesn't then you'll have to bleed the pressure slowly and crack the thing open to transfer by conventional means. Sorry to hear about your hardships. What is the yeast? Some of them really kick out the krausen. Did you bring the pressure up right away? Pressure is supposed to reduce the foaming to some extent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #1462
Lennie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
The beer (see quote above) I have fermenting now appears to have some fusel alcohol flavors in the hydro sample. I ramped temp to 70F when gravity was at 1.030 after a week from pitching; thinking it was lagging a bit; also temps started creeping to 20 psi during this time (I'm sure its due to temp increase). It's now down to 1.020 and still producing co2 so It's not done fermenting. I know 70F (thermowell into center of fermenter) isn't too high for s-05. I pitched 2 packs that I woke up a bit in some wort a few hours prior to pitching. Last night I gradually dropped the temp to 64F and pressure to 12 psi. Anyone have any insight or help?
Fusels come from a too-warm ferment. I haven't seen fusels simply as a result of pressurized fermentations. I would have though you could ferment a little warmer under pressure but it may be that the fusels will start at a certain temp regardless. Boy do I hate fuselly beer, sorry to hear you're finding them.

My own low-tech cooling proceudre for the Brewhemoth is to put a box fan blowing on it from a few feet away. It does seem to carry off some of the heat and keep the fermentor closer to the ambient temp of my fairly cool basement. I have the chilling coil and tried a cheap recirc setup but it didn't seem to have much effect, the fan keeps my wort at around 67F which is OK for the Chico and British ale strains I've used so far.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #1463
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 23

It fermented at 64F until 50% of the way to FG, then ramped to 70F. I'm hoping im tasting something else and not fusel.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #1464
Lennie
Recipes 

Hopefully its just a little acetaldehyde or diacetyl, something that will clean up at the end of the ferment. Your temps seem OK, depends of course on where you're measuring them and if the thermometer is right. Depends on the yeast and pitching rate as well I suppose. With an under-pitch you can get a pretty estery beer, or if the wort wasn't cooled to pitching temps. But you know all that.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #1465
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
If it doesn't then you'll have to bleed the pressure slowly and crack the thing open to transfer by conventional means. Sorry to hear about your hardships. What is the yeast? Some of them really kick out the krausen. Did you bring the pressure up right away? Pressure is supposed to reduce the foaming to some extent.
Yeast is WLP 001. I started with a 1L starter and decanted it. Then I added cooled wort to make another 1L and set it on the stir plate again over night for about 9 hours before pitching the whole thing when I woke up.

I started at 0-2 psi and after it started a hissing I ramped to 5 that same evening. I think I ramped to up again the next morning because of the blow off bubbles that I was seeing. That evening it started going nuts. So I ramped it to 10 and then it was pushing up to the valve and I ramped it to 15 to control it. After it got controlled I knocked it back to 10. It now sits at ~10 on the 6th day from pitching. It's basically been at 10 to 16 psi off and on for pretty much every day but the first day. I think stuff got in the valve because it is acting really weird.

My temps were very high unfortunately due to a heat wave. I have the AC kicking on at 75. The steel on the keg measures 65 but the top of the lid was pushing 80 each afternoon this week. God I hope this batch is halfway decent!

Old 04-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #1466
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

I have now decided to cut my fermenting keg diptubes 1" based on the events described below. I'm gonna try the copper tubing cutter.

Well my 1.073 mellowed out and the liquid dropped out of the spunding line yesterday a week after brewing. Then I purged, disconnected the out line and pulled the diptube to unplug it. When I was done rinsing and star saning it, I came back to find a volcano erupting! Good thing I had the keg in a trash can with water. Then I tried the picnic valve again and plugged up again.

My 1.050 seemed perfect to the point of transfer. I transferred it while sitting in the keezer and then after inspecting the empty sending keg, I realized that there wasn't enough trub in there. And sure enough when I poured a glass today, it was full of junk.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #1467
CS223
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I bottled the IPA off the keg a week ago using the BierMuncher method. Opened a couple bottles last night and it's carbed up perfectly. Going to continue to use this technique, it beats messing with priming sugar for the stuff I want to bottle. A 10' liquid line takes care of any foaming when serving from the keg.

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #1468
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Question for those who start with an airlock and then pressure up. I'm doing about 14.75gallon in a sanke and I'm about two days into primary with a good burp going on budjevic lager yeast. I'm not sure how long I should keep it on the airlock until I switch over to my sounding valve. I'm fermenting at 53 degrees and not really sure when or how long high krausen will be. Any thoughts?

Old 04-27-2012, 12:49 AM   #1469
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 259 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 70

This may have been covered but here is a great article and everything you need to setup a closed system with a corny and a transfer system using a 2nd corny.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7125050/beer...menatation.pdf

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 04-27-2012, 02:09 AM   #1470
CS223
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flananuts View Post
Question for those who start with an airlock and then pressure up. I'm doing about 14.75gallon in a sanke and I'm about two days into primary with a good burp going on budjevic lager yeast. I'm not sure how long I should keep it on the airlock until I switch over to my sounding valve. I'm fermenting at 53 degrees and not really sure when or how long high krausen will be. Any thoughts?

I was told when you get to within 5 points of your FG, crank it up, set it according to the carbonation chart elsewhere in this thread. I set mine at 5 PSI from the beginning and checked the gravity after 3 days.

Of all the things I've learned from HBT the single most important lesson has been: RDWHAHB.

Quick Reply