Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!

View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 81 11.33%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.80%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.56%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 533 74.55%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 77 10.77%
Voters: 715. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #1201
SankePankey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmuench View Post
I usually get 2 2/3 to 2 3/4 cornies of beer per 15 gal batch.

Sankey, how do you get the yeast out of the corny and what do you put it in?

I'm getting 3 cornies that all fill to about an inch or two below where the top rubber handle starts. I'd say that's about a 1/3 or a 1/2 gallon of headspace.

My 3 gal corny is my starter vessel and cropper- the whole circle of life thing.

My process is:

1) I fill it with starter wort and then pressurize it with O2 and shake shake (just easier than using the stone) and then put the spunding valve on it and let the starter absorb O2 under pressure until it starts kicking out it's own (at 2-3psi or what not).

2) Then after cold crashing, I decant in place via a dip tube that only goes down to 3 or 4" from the bottom, leaving the cake. After that I put in the full length liquid dip tube, shake, and push the cake into the primary with CO2.

3a) I can then leave the full length dip tube in and listen to my beer bubble thru the krausen for a while (it's pretty loud in a corny... ping... ping.. ping... hehe..). This is what I'll do if I have to open it up to dry hop. After I dry hop, I move my spunding valve from the corny to the sanke (cause my custom sanke has corny posts on it). Leaving the long dip tube in is just for convenience I guess.

{BTW- This is where I know I got my infection from. Ramping temperature up at the end of fermentation to aid the diacetyl rest produced condensation in the tubing (which I could see) and that was falling back into the fermenter. My beers smelled 'awesome' until right about cold crashing (so, 3 or 4 days after putting the spunding valve on) and they just gradually infected but were completely opaque cloudy. All 3 infections happened in exactly the same way. Beer was drinkable upon cold crashing, but ugly as hell and just not right..}

or alternately

3b) I put a gas dip tube in the liquid side of the corny. That way I never have to depressurize the chain, even to rack. I can push gas into the corny which pushes it into the primary and then pushes finished beer into 3 cornies! Like a gas hopscotch. Anyhoo, my 3 gal corny is sealed up tight with beautiful looking yeast that has nothing but CO2 on top of it.

Since I don't really ranch yeast yet, I do whatever at this point. Usually I will repitch yeast from the cake of the primary. What with all the plate chiller prefiltering I do, my cake yeast is quite pretty too. I only get about 1/2 to 1 vial's amount of yeast from force top cropping, which I'd have to make another starter for if I wanted to just use that. But no doubt it is prettier than the cake yeast and if I did ranch, I'd ranch that yeast instead. That yeast has less hop oils and/or dry hop matter too.

Hope that helps.

P.S. I use a fun tool for decanting my cake yeast, though.... Plastic (see thru) pancake batter dispenser. Yeah baby.
41l9ohv65wl._ss350_.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #1202
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmuench View Post
According to Google Maps I can be in your town in 7 hours to help you with your "problem". See you soon!

Get on board with the pressurized fermentation, you'll love it!!
I got up at 6AM expecting a knock on the door, where were you? Guess I'll just go to work then.

I'm doing my first pressurized ferment now in a Brewhemoth conical. I was impressed with the ferment time and like other aspects of the technique. I normally brew small batches so I wanted to try the corny this time. If that works like I think it will, I'll build another spunding valve.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #1203
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 185 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 124

How much of the beverage tube are people cutting off of their cornies to keep the trub from getting transfered to the serving keg?

Old 01-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #1204
cmuench
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
I got up at 6AM expecting a knock on the door, where were you? Guess I'll just go to work then.

I'm doing my first pressurized ferment now in a Brewhemoth conical. I was impressed with the ferment time and like other aspects of the technique. I normally brew small batches so I wanted to try the corny this time. If that works like I think it will, I'll build another spunding valve.
I was there at 5am. Mrs. Lennie loaded up my truck and I was on my way!! Loved the Scottish 70. Sorry I missed you.

Now back on topic...

Quote:
How much of the beverage tube are people cutting off of their cornies to keep the trub from getting transfered to the serving keg?
I haven't cut any of my dip tubes. After I cold crash I run off a pint or 2, then filter to serving cornies.

It makes it a pain to get a good gravity sample though during fermentation, lots of junk in the hydrometer tube.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #1205
Lennie
Recipes 

I suppose you could also just bend the dip tube instead of cutting it. I'm going to guess it should be about 2" above the very bottom of the cornie to keep out of the cake. If you bend it so it pulls from the opposite side of the keg as the post, you could probably tip the keg to that side towards the end of the transfer to get the most clean beer possible without getting into much yeast. I think thats how I'm going to go here at the beginning, I hate cutting things when I'm not sure I'm going to stick with this.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 PM   #1206
Lennie
Recipes 

Just found out my brewers hardware order is here. Chrstmas in January! Among other things I purchased a triclamp with 1/2" barb, the smallest barb they offered. I have a question about counter-pressure filling of kegs from a conical. How do I go from 1/2" tubing to a ball lock liquid-in QD that has a 1/4" barb? This may be seeing around 30psi.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #1207
Lennie
Recipes 

Got my tranfer line hooked up this morning and couldn't help myself, I had to transfer some beer. So I got our bathroom scale and filled two cornies using coutnerpressure with the spunding valve as my bleeder valve. The Brewhemoth was at about 28psi and I adjusted the relief valve at about 20psi. I put some extra gas on the Brewhemoth at one point because I think draining that much volume affected the pressure. Other than shooting a little foam through the spunding valve on the first keg, things went very well. I did the transfer fairly slow, saw a few clumps of trub come through on the first keg but overall the beer was very clear. Put one keg in the fridge so it will be ready for sampling this evening. I still have a gallon or two to transfer into a third keg for bottling, will finish that up tonight and then worry about cleaning.

I was late to work and smell of beer, but it was worth it.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #1208
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
I was late to work and smell of beer, but it was worth it.
Always is!

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 01-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #1209
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankePankey View Post
P.S. I use a fun tool for decanting my cake yeast, though.... Plastic (see thru) pancake batter dispenser. Yeah baby.
Love the batter dispenser idea for rinsing yeast.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 01-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #1210
flananuts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey Lamarguy, damn nice to see you back on the thread!

Quick Reply