Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!
View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 83 11.16%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 21 2.82%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.54%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 556 74.73%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 80 10.75%
Voters: 744. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #1181
Lennie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Last night I turned the chiller back on to start dropping the temp to the extent I could. It was down a few degrees this morning.

Today I made up a gas transfer line and purged a keg using the gas from the Brewhemoth. That brought the pressure down to 5psi. I then harvested some yeast from the dump valve and cleaned up the valve to the extent I could. I bled the remaining pressure, opened the top and added gelatin and an ounce of Cascade for a modest dry hopping.

I sealed things back up and pressurized the fermentor to 30psi. I'll let this go for about a week and then keg. By then I hope my barbed triclamp fitting comes in, brewershardware had an item on backorder and that is holding up shipment. Its causing me to have to slow down my rapid-turnaround beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #1182
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flananuts View Post
Has anyone here done a full 15 in a snake under pressure? I'm going to use fermcap. I plan to brew up the iipa I just did at 10 gallon and then add an additional 5 gal water at chill. The 10 gallon iipa when watered down matches up for a perfect American ipa.

Would appreciate any tips so I don't clog my poly sulfone valve
Give it a shot and let us know how it goes. I did 15 gallons and it was a bit messy. Hence the reason I want a yeast collection system prior to my spunding setup. The keg idea seems great to grab the blow-off, but i am anxious to know how 15 gallons with fermcap works.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 12-29-2011, 02:22 AM   #1183
Lennie
Recipes 

I'm guessing that 15gal in a 5.5gal fermentor is too much even with fermcap. Fermcap only seems to work for awhile anyway. I use it on my boils and I always have a generous krausen. Why do you want 15gal anyway? You still wouldn't get 15gal of finished beer. I think I'd just go with 11gal and have two full kegs per batch.

The thing I don't like about priming sugar is having to open the fermentor to the air to put it in. I had to do this to add my dry hops and gelatin, but I was conflicted about it. I'm going to give a strict no-air batch a try one of these times.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:23 AM   #1184
cmuench
Recipes 

Quote:
Has anyone here done a full 15 in a snake under pressure? I'm going to use fermcap. I plan to brew up the iipa I just did at 10 gallon and then add an additional 5 gal water at chill. The 10 gallon iipa when watered down matches up for a perfect American ipa.

I've done many 15 gal batches in a sankey. That's the only size I do. I use 30 drops of fermcap S per batch.

I use a blow off tube for the first 48 hrs then put on the poly sulfone and crank it up. It works fantastic for me. I've tried the valve at the beginning and it gets plugged with proteins and hop particulate in the krausen. Then you've got trouble. It's a pain to keep taking it off and cleaning it so you don't have a bomb.

I've done a better job at the end of the boil with whirlpooling and letting the wort sit for 15 min before chilling. I don't get hardly any hops in the fermenter so maybe now I could get away with putting the valve on right away.

You guys have been talking so much about top cropping yeast that I've been thinking about connecting my blowoff tube to my filter and putting the valve on the other side to see how that goes. I've gotta read the yeast harvesting/washing wiki again before I try that.

I say go for it. More beer is better!!

Old 12-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #1185
Lennie
Recipes 

How much beer do you get from a 15gal batch?

Old 12-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #1186
dtanders
Recipes 

I have nearly exact setup as cmuench, except I do 10 gal. in sanke. I am having trouble getting to FG. I seem to get "close", close down the vavle and the FG doesn't get any lower. At what point are you close and should it be closed up to allow to finish and carbonate? Example, I start my oatmeal stout at 1.057 and expect FG 1.018. I have done this same recipe maybe 25 times and have never had trouble with carboys. I am getting to about 1.022 and closing it up. My finished after crash cooling, filtering, warming and rechilling is still 1.022?? What am I doing wrong??

Old 12-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #1187
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So I brewed my tiny nipples ipa based off the hard nipples iipa that just started force caring. I used fermcap in the boil and quite impressed since I boiled 14 gal. I decided to top up to 14 in the sanke and did add fermcap to the fermenter. My eff was spot on so I'm going to ferment under pressure at 1.076 and when I filter to keg, I'll split up the final gallon of water in the keg to hit 1.065 or so. I'll keep you posted on the process.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #1188
flananuts

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I slowly ramp pressure over the course of the fermentation schedule and once I'm at about 3/4 finished I'm usually up around 8-10 psi and then I crank it up to 15psi for the remainder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtanders View Post
I have nearly exact setup as cmuench, except I do 10 gal. in sanke. I am having trouble getting to FG. I seem to get "close", close down the vavle and the FG doesn't get any lower. At what point are you close and should it be closed up to allow to finish and carbonate? Example, I start my oatmeal stout at 1.057 and expect FG 1.018. I have done this same recipe maybe 25 times and have never had trouble with carboys. I am getting to about 1.022 and closing it up. My finished after crash cooling, filtering, warming and rechilling is still 1.022?? What am I doing wrong??

Old 12-31-2011, 01:02 AM   #1189
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Okay heres some pictures of my setup. Sorry for the crappy phone pic quality.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 12-31-2011, 12:42 PM   #1190
SankePankey
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:

I do 14.5g in a sanke and am continuing to push it further, and I use no fermcap. I have a second pressure vessel (corny keg) attached to my sanke that, especially at these volumes, is force top cropping about a quart or more of blow off- although especially with pressure it's hard to get a perfect known amount of blow off. The yeast is so damn purdy tho, like a white labs vial. My spunding valve is chained off of the second keg, so it doesn't get dirty and my thinking was that 'there's just gas going thru there, right?' I was not correct.

My spunding valve has been the source of 3 infections in a row, my first bout with infection. HIGHLY recommend constructing your spunding valve so that you can disassemble and clean it after use and or let whatever tubing or fittings in the chain fully dry out after cleaning. After cutting the tubing in my assembly and smelling the horror, I now know that condensation that forms inside the tubing was then dripping back into the fermenter and causing the infection. Whatever my methods of keeping this thing clean, it's more than just CO2 that escapes thru it and it needs to be cleaned.

I'm now reconstructing so that all the spunding hardware is at the end of a tube that I can flush and sanitize and take off of the assembly to hang dry after the ferment- kind of like a kegerator line. Maybe I'll also run star san thru the valve before every brew too.

Quick Reply