Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed-system pressurized fermentation technique!

View Poll Results: What do you guys think about pressure fermentations? Time for a poll.
I've done it and I liked it just fine! 81 11.27%
I've done it, nothing wrong with it, but prefer normal fermentation techniques. 20 2.78%
I've done it, hate it, and never will do it again! 4 0.56%
I've never done it, but it is on my list! 535 74.41%
I've never done anything. I only brew beer in my mind. 79 10.99%
Voters: 719. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 02:18 AM   #1141
cmuench
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie View Post
I just won the grand prize in the raffle at the St Louis Brews Holiday Homebrew Competition. It was a Brewhemoth with all the bells and whistles (tri-clamps, pressurizer, chiller coil, even valves for a ready-to-go rig). Thanks to Josh and Dale for the fantastic donation.

I plan to install a spunding valve and run some pressurized fermentations, I am really intrigued by the method and am hoping it will give me results more like commercial craft brews that have excellent malt flavor. My only indecision is whether to make the adjustable spunding valve with gauge, or simply replace the 50psi relief valve on the pressurizer with 15psi relief valve.
15 psi won't be enough. For most of the beers I'm making 2.4 vol of CO2 at 65-68 degrees is 25 psi. So with a 15 you wouldn't be able to get there. Mine is 60 psi. I think most people use this one or the 30 psi one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 03:09 AM   #1142
Retrofit
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I also use a 60 psi. What I've noticed is between the three gauges I own, not every gauge reads true. Some are off by as much 2 psi- which I think matters. I've considered 'down grading' to 30 psi gauges because I've read the small range is more accurate. Furthermore, when you factor in the psi range of most beers- a 60 gauge is over kill. So while I own 60's if I had to do it all over again- I think I'd go 30. Hope that helps?

Old 12-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #1143
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks, I wasn't going to use the constant pressure relief valve for anything but the pressurized fermentation part but after reading some more in this thread (up to page 35) I did go ahead and also order the parts (valve and glycol gauge) for a 0.5-30psi spunding valve. I debated about the 60 but I don't have a problem using my CO2 tank to top things up as far as carbonation is concerned. I'll also chill the beer to some extent prior to filling the kegs, just not sure how low I can get the temp with the internal coil chiller and a bucket of coolant in my keezer. Should work for British bitters and the like that don't require the higher carbonation.

Appreciate the feedback.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:06 AM   #1144
Lennie
Recipes 

Heres a pic of my spunding valve. McMaster Carr sent the 0.5-30psi valve and gauge super fast, it arrived today so I went to Lowes and stood there for 45 minutes until I found the parts I needed to plumb this baby up. Also shown is my new setup, I'll be trying to use the peltier wine cooler to chill a reservoir that'll pump through the internal cooling coil on the Brewhemoth. The spunding valve is on a QD on the pressurizing attachment.

I must confess that the very first thing I did to my new spunding valve was to put it carefully on the out side of a keg of German pils. Its one of those kegs with identical posts and I could have sworn the one side said 'out"' not "in". Oops. May have helped it seal though.

spunding-valve-1.jpg   brewhemoth-1.jpg  

Old 12-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #1145
Lennie
Recipes 

I brewed a 6gal batch of black IPA yesterday and pitched it in my Brewhemoth. Using US05 dry yeast so it hasn't taken off quite yet. I pitched another packet this morning and am going to replicate the batch so I have 12gal in the fermentor. Figured I'd go big for the inaugural run on this fermentor.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #1146
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Awesome stuff there Lennie! Let us all know how it turns out for you.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 12-18-2011, 03:03 AM   #1147
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Left in primary too long?

My usual technique is to ferment in a sanke at 7psi, then ramp it up at the end to carb. I usually crash cool for a week, then counter pressure transfer to serving kegs.

Well, I've been busy lately and kind of preferred drinking off the fermenter keg to actually kegging it.

Is there some point at which autolysis or some other negative flavors will ruin my beer?

I'll probably keg tomorrow, but Sundays are my only day off right now and, well, it may not happen.

Thanks for the advice. Cheers!

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 12-18-2011, 03:09 AM   #1148
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 106

there are people that ferment in the primary for well over a month.. of course that's not pressure fermented but I don't see how it would matter.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #1149
Lennie
Recipes 

Mystic, theres usually some carryover of yeast in kegs and I've never had it negatively impact the beer.

Wortmonger, thanks for the encouragement.

I brewed another batch, it came out a little stronger and 5.5gal. The average OG for the total batch is 1.072, 11.3gal. I'll get two kegs plus some bottles for possible competition entries (if its any good). When I went to check the fermentor this morning the spunding valve read 5psi, I backed it off a little and heard the hiss so its working great. I'm going to raise it to 7psi and let it go a few days, then bump to 15psi.

The temperature is running 64F (taped a thermocouple to the cone of the fermentor), I have the recirculating chiller set at 60F. I'll see if this thing will hold the temp, its cool in the basement anyway.

I'm off to the races!

Old 12-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #1150
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonza9
Is there some point at which autolysis or some other negative flavors will ruin my beer?
I am sure there is a shorter time table due to there being more yeast, and under pressure. However; I am unsure how long this would be since we have proven the autolysis to be El CuCuy (the boogieman) in home-brewing on our "normal" fermentations, I would assume it to be just short of that. I am also thinking about bottle aged beers... that have yeast in them on purpose with no worry about autolysis. Of course, these beers are clean of old yeast prior to priming and pitching with healthy stuff before final packaging. I honestly wouldn't worry until I knew i needed to start worrying about it on our scale of production.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticmead
there are people that ferment in the primary for well over a month.. of course that's not pressure fermented but I don't see how it would matter.
Yep, my thoughts exactly... except that it is/probably a shorter timeframe than under normal practices (but this is just speculation on my part).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennie
Mystic, theres usually some carryover of yeast in kegs and I've never had it negatively impact the beer.

Wortmonger, thanks for the encouragement.

I brewed another batch, it came out a little stronger and 5.5gal. The average OG for the total batch is 1.072, 11.3gal. I'll get two kegs plus some bottles for possible competition entries (if its any good). When I went to check the fermentor this morning the spunding valve read 5psi, I backed it off a little and heard the hiss so its working great. I'm going to raise it to 7psi and let it go a few days, then bump to 15psi.

The temperature is running 64F (taped a thermocouple to the cone of the fermentor), I have the recirculating chiller set at 60F. I'll see if this thing will hold the temp, its cool in the basement anyway.

I'm off to the races!
Awesome! Someone needs to design a relatively inexpensive digital adjustable back-pressure relief valve. Then you could set it and forget it... especially if it had built in temperature to pressure control. Alas, I can only wish and pray.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Quick Reply