Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Closed corny as a bright tank?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #1
JetSmooth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Closed corny as a bright tank?

I have four gallons of pale ale that's been in my carboy for seven days. It started pretty light at an OG of 1.038. Checked last night and it's at 1.01, so I don't expect to get much more fermentation out of it. I will give it another three days or so and check again to make sure, however.

I am planning on racking to a corny keg and adding gelatin. I only have one gas disconnect at the moment and I'm using it to ferment 4 gallons that are behind the first four by five days in a second corny with a length of tubing attached and stuck into a bottle of Starsan as an airlock.

If I'm sure the APA is done, I'm assuming there's no harm in racking to a clean and sanitized corny, adding gelatin, and setting aside for another week sealed before bottling. Anything I'm missing?

I know, get more gas disconnects. That's not practical at the moment until I can take another trip to the LHBS.

I can't wait to get my kegging setup completed. Grrr.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Nothing is wrong with using a keg for a secondary. You should hit it with some CO2 to seal the lid and purge the head space. There is no safer place to keep beer.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
JetSmooth
Recipes 

That's what I figured. I mean, even if I "wake up" the yeasties and they decide to shoot for a 1.009 gravity, it ought to be able to hold the pressure.

One thing I've wondered is how do you know when you've purged the O2 and only have Co2 in the headspace? Pull the relief valve and sniff until what's coming out tingles?

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 74

If it drops two points it will just be fully carbonated.

I just open the release valve a couple of times. It should work because the CO2 will be under the air and force it out.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
shelly_belly
Locomotive Breath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I have dedicated a corny as a brite tank/secondary. I cut an inch and a half off of the diptube. I put 1/2 pack of gelatin in 4 oz H20 and heat in microwave until it reaches 160F. Then I dump that in the keg and rack from primary (actualy I push from a better bottle using CO2) into the keg. It goes into the keezer at 29-33F for 3 days and then gets pushed into a serving keg for carbonating. The shortened diptube leaves behind about 22oz of some nasty looking crud.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
JetSmooth
Recipes 

What did you use to cut the dip tube? I am thinking of just bending it up a bit with a screwdriver so i can restore it later, if i want. Man, I need to get my keezer set up so i can cold crash stuff. Haha

Old 07-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
shelly_belly
Locomotive Breath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I used a tubing cutter I had for cutting copper pipe. If I had to do again I would put a bend in the whole tube so that I could restore it later. But, I'm up to 18 kegs now so I can take the loss!

Edit: yes, keezer is awsome. I wanted clear beer so I chose kegs so that I could push between kegs using a filter. But with gelatin and cold crashing, a filter is not needed.

Last edited by shelly_belly; 07-19-2010 at 09:24 PM.

Quick Reply