Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Clearing Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 02:55 AM   #11
Terry08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Gee am I gratefull to you guy's. As I have transfered from the primery(Getting the Lingo right) to the secondary after a week I will continue with the first suggestion. I will not discount the others however as I bow to your collective knowledge

Quote:
1 week primary
2 weeks secondry
3 weeks bottle conditioning
Now there are some terminology I would appreciate clearing up

[ranking] ?
[B/M/C] ?
[OTOH] ?

I did get a blanket of foam as I transfered so I guess it would help keep it from getting contaminating.

One point I have it in our screen room(Open Room with Fly Screens on 3 sides)

The temperature here at the moment as it is winter went down to 3 deg c of a nightwhich would be about 40f. so it would have got a severe case of chillblains. Thankfully it rises to at least 18c in the day. By the way don't you Americans believe in metrication you will be telling me next you have miles instead of Kilometers and I shudder to think you still measure in inches. Although I did read in a post that a guy measured bleach by the glug.

Well if this brew does not turn out I shall be back, forget about "Beware the dog", "Beware the Aussie Brewer"

Maybe if more of the worlds population brewed beer they would be a happier more helpful mob. Maybe there should be a world brew day decreed. I will have to text our PM and maybe you could get a responce from el president'e.

You impress me all of you not in your knowledge but your willingness to offer advice and for that I say thanks. You have made me feel welcome to this community and I now feel proud to be a part.

Terry

Reason: spelling sticky m on keyboard (My story)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 03:50 AM   #12
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry08 View Post
Now there are some terminology I would appreciate clearing up

[ranking] ?
[B/M/C] ?
[OTOH] ?
ranking = TYPO, I believe he meant to type "racking"
BMC = Bud, Miller, Coors (fizzy yellow beer for the masses)
OTOH = On the other hand

Old 07-02-2008, 05:43 AM   #13
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmey View Post
ranking = TYPO, I believe he meant to type "racking"
BMC = Bud, Miller, Coors (fizzy yellow beer for the masses)
OTOH = On the other hand
I thought it was "fizzy yellow beer is for wussies"?

Actually you should not rack to the secondary until the fermentation is complete.

If the yeasts attenuation is 75% then once the OG drops 75% then it's ready to rack...technically it's beer and ready to bottle. But you don't want to do that...it's still green...

Doing a secondary allows it time to clear up and age/mellow a bit...which is a good thing.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:29 AM   #14
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bobby_M man am I impressed you seem to have a fantasic setup. I visited your gallery.

Also you seem quite fit. I am afraid my love of beer has taken its toll. I really like to have 2 720ml bottles per day and added to a robust appitite I have changed over the years. I used to be Slim Trim and Terrific now just Terrific. Still one out of three can't be that bad.

I am currently into a glass of Munich Lager. It was a kit but very nice. My secondary contains a Australian Lager "Tooheys". One of our major brewers here. At a club Tooheys Draught will stand up to most commercial brews world wide. I also like a Dark Ale which is mid between a stout and a draught.

This is a strange country when the weather is fine like today Sunny and a warm 20deg c tonight will be 0deg c. Still we only have a month of this cold weather then it warms up. Cannot wait.

You guys will turn me into a better brewer. Bottles are the problem Stubbies 375ml are freely available on recycle night but the treasured 720ml is hard to get now. I do not like the smaller bottles as it means twice the work.

Live well and long Guy's

Terry

Old 07-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #15
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry08 View Post
You guys will turn me into a better brewer. Bottles are the problem Stubbies 375ml are freely available on recycle night but the treasured 720ml is hard to get now. I do not like the smaller bottles as it means twice the work.
The 12 oz/375ml bottles are also deficient at keeping in the sediment, I always seem to end up with yeast in my glass when I pour from a twelver but with the bigger bottles I don't have that problem.

As much as the 22s (720s to you) cost you might consider getting some 1L fliptops. I just bought a case for my last two batches, and bottled half in those. 1L is perfect for an evening, and even if not they seal up tight and keep most of the carbonation for the next day.

- Eric

Old 07-03-2008, 01:09 AM   #16
Terry08
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What about the sediment? I do decant into a jug probably loosing a couple of cc's but I do get crystal clear beer. I believe that presentation is half the enjoyment.

Also I just checked my Lager in the secondary it is clearing and tastes sweet. I think it should turn out great.

Anyone thought of having a flat beer tasting wine or 50/50 with soda water for a ultralite.

Quick Reply