Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Clear Beer
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
VAShooter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chesterfield, Virginia
Posts: 203
Default Clear Beer

All my brews are cloudy and its starting to bug me. They taste great but the clarity is something I want to work on.

I normally do IPA's - All grain (just switched from extract 2 batches ago) - Whirfloc tabs the last 10-15. I use an IC and get from 212* to 70* in 12-15 minutes. Primary only for 3-4 week. Sometimes 5 weeks. What is confusing is that when I rack to bottling bucket and bottle me beer is very very clear. Only after I put them in the fridge do they get cloudy. I've got some in the fridge that have been there for a month so the whole chill haze going away with time does not seem to be working for me.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

__________________
Primary 1: Beer
Primary 2: Beer

Secondary: Beer

Kegged / Bottled: Beer
VAShooter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
kpr121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,781
Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default

Sounds like chill haze. Some have had success trying Poly-Clar (sp?). Me I dont worry much about haze. If my beer ends up clear, its just a plus for me.

__________________
ADD ME on GOOGLE+
Primary: Nugget Nectar 2014
Kegged:

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?
kpr121 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
bernerbrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 8,526
Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Back when I bottled exclusively, everything came out cloudy. Then when I took some beers to my mother's house up near Chicago, she just sorta left them in the back of her fridge all year. I cracked those open a year later and they were crystal clear.

Moral of the story is low temps + long times = clear beer.

__________________
bernerbrau is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
VAShooter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chesterfield, Virginia
Posts: 203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbrau View Post
Back when I bottled exclusively, everything came out cloudy. Then when I took some beers to my mother's house up near Chicago, she just sorta left them in the back of her fridge all year. I cracked those open a year later and they were crystal clear.

Moral of the story is low temps + long times = clear beer.
Might be a fun experiment to try.
__________________
Primary 1: Beer
Primary 2: Beer

Secondary: Beer

Kegged / Bottled: Beer
VAShooter is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #5
ayoungrad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Newton, MA
Posts: 1,100
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

I always got chill haze (which is definitely what you have). It did not matter how long bottles were in the frig - they never cleared. I could be wrong but it is my understanding that clearing in the refrigerator is the result of settling of yeast and different from chill chaze. I'm happy to be wrong about this but I don't think chill haze clears with cold conditioning.

At any rate, my last batch had no chill haze. Not sure what made the difference. The things I did differently were:

1. I used BRITA filtered tap instead of boiled/campden tap water.
2. I did an 80 minute mash instead of 60.
3. I did a 90 minute boil instead of 60.

__________________
ayoungrad is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
bernerbrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 8,526
Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoungrad View Post
I'm happy to be wrong about this but I don't think chill haze clears with cold conditioning.
Chill haze is from proteins. A long enough rest in the refrigerator and they will drop out too.
__________________
bernerbrau is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 29,021
Liked 2011 Times on 1762 Posts
Likes Given: 1487

Default

I was just wondering if a weak hot break would leave too many proteins in solution? My wife got a crazy hot break last Saturday that took both of us using both arms to stir down. We'll see how well that works.
Even with the extract batch I brewed Sunday,I added all 3lbs of the DME to the boil for hop additions. I got a mini hot break from that. Hoping that helps reduce the time it takes to clear the chill haze,or eliminate it.
__________________
Everything works if ya let it-Roady(meatloaf)
My new book is on Amazon Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3MCU0W
unionrdr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
JLW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 3,404
Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAShooter View Post
All my brews are cloudy and its starting to bug me. They taste great but the clarity is something I want to work on.

I normally do IPA's - All grain (just switched from extract 2 batches ago) - Whirfloc tabs the last 10-15. I use an IC and get from 212* to 70* in 12-15 minutes. Primary only for 3-4 week. Sometimes 5 weeks. What is confusing is that when I rack to bottling bucket and bottle me beer is very very clear. Only after I put them in the fridge do they get cloudy. I've got some in the fridge that have been there for a month so the whole chill haze going away with time does not seem to be working for me.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
My only suggestion would be to drop all of those beers off at my house and I will study each one of them individually. Some I will give a short chill, some a quick chill in the freezer, some a medium chill in the fridge and others a long chill in the fridge. Then I will report back results with a recommendation.

__________________

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to detrmine whether or not they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln
Fine Creek Brewery

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

JLW is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #9
bernerbrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 8,526
Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW View Post
My only suggestion would be to drop all of those beers off at my house and I will study each one of them individually. Some I will give a short chill, some a quick chill in the freezer, some a medium chill in the fridge and others a long chill in the fridge. Then I will report back results with a recommendation.

"Inconclusive. Further study required."
__________________
bernerbrau is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
ayoungrad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Newton, MA
Posts: 1,100
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbrau View Post
Chill haze is from proteins. A long enough rest in the refrigerator and they will drop out too.
Agreed about proteins.

You could be right about clearing but I have had beer in the frig for 3 weeks or more and still had chill haze. Perfectly clear when at room temp in every case.

At any rate, long cold conditioning is addressing the symptom, not the cure.

The best way to treat chill haze is to avoid it. That means better break formation. Any of the things I mentioned could have done it. I'm just not sure which one. Probably length of boil.
__________________
ayoungrad is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Combination for Clear Beer MichaelMNC General Techniques 7 05-09-2011 02:29 PM
WO HOO!!! Clear beer enohcs General Techniques 20 12-18-2010 10:50 PM
How do they get commercial beer so clear? oldschool General Techniques 16 03-24-2010 08:41 PM
hyper clear beer anderj General Techniques 5 01-30-2008 10:38 PM
Tips For Clear Beer Chris_Dog General Techniques 12 09-21-2007 05:09 PM