Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Clarifying/Dry Hopping Schedule

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
HopOnHops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Clarifying/Dry Hopping Schedule

Im going to brew a IIPA and im not sure what order to do the Cold Crashing, Dry Hopping, and Clarifying(with gelatin). I was thinking Primary-> DH in Primary -> Secondary -> Cold Crash w/ Gelatin -> Keg

My concern is that clarifying after dry hopping will reduce the hoppiness. Is there any truth to my concerns?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopOnHops
Im going to brew a IIPA and im not sure what order to do the Cold Crashing, Dry Hopping, and Clarifying(with gelatin). I was thinking Primary-> DH in Primary -> Secondary -> Cold Crash w/ Gelatin -> Keg

My concern is that clarifying after dry hopping will reduce the hoppiness. Is there any truth to my concerns?
DH after racking to secondary. I would not DH in the primary. I usually DH in secondary and only for seven days total. My schedule for most ales is 2 wks primary, rack to secondary and finish for 1wk. After finishing, DH for 5 days then cold crash for 2 days. The only time I used gelatin, it did not strip beer of flavor or aroma. Was not too pleased with results so I purchased a filter to clarify my beer. Also doubles as a randall. I would read up more on dry hopping and not worry so much about gelatin stripping out flavor/aroma.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 18

You can dryhop in the primary with success, but since you already said that you're using a secondary, I would put all of your loose dryhops in the empty secondary and then rack the beer on top of it (you could bag the dryhops too, or keg hop with a bag). Cold crash w/gelatin after your dryhop time is complete. I prefer 4-5 days for the cold crash. Dryhop can be anywhere from 1-2 weeks.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Primary--> cold crash --> dry hop in keg

Quick Reply