Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Christmas Beer - which yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
MikeFallopian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Christmas Beer - which yeast?

I'm currently devising a recipe for a Christmas ale. Malts to be included will probably be biscuit, vienna, special B, crystal, and chocolate. The beer will probably be spiced with orange peel, cinnamon, and clove. Hop varieties will be ones that will impart a spicy fruitiness to the brew. I'm aiming to hit quite a high original gravity.

The question is, which yeast would be best to use with a brew of this kind? I was thinking of a Belgian ale to offer some more spice/fruit notes - would this be suitable, or should I choose something more neutral?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
cactusgarrett
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

To me, i would go with something neutral in order to get OUT of the way of everything else you got in there. WY1056 is the first one that comes to mind, although pretty conservative.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply