Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Chill or not chill prior to entering competion...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
-TH-
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Chill or not chill prior to entering competion...

I want to enter an IPA in a couple comps coming up and I was wondering if it would be better to chill the bottles in the fridge for a month or so before hand or not. Just wondering what others do.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Well, I guess it would depend on the beer! If it's got some chill haze or clarity issues, I'd carb it up then chill it to get rid of any haze. If it's not quite aged enough, I'd keep it at room temperature. If it's absolutely perfect now, and you want to preserve that by slowing down the aging, then cellar temps (or the fridge) would be preferable.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Well, I guess it would depend on the beer! If it's got some chill haze or clarity issues, I'd carb it up then chill it to get rid of any haze. If it's not quite aged enough, I'd keep it at room temperature. If it's absolutely perfect now, and you want to preserve that by slowing down the aging, then cellar temps (or the fridge) would be preferable.
Thanks, that makes perfect sense.

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 02-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
seanmichaleen
Recipes 

The hop qualities tend to quickly disappear in a beer as it ages and warmer temperatures tend to accelerate the aging process in beer. I definitely prefer my IPAs as fresh as possible and start drinking my DIPAs about 3 weeks after brewing.

With that said, if you feel the other components of your beer are a little rough around the edges and would benefit from a month of aging, leave the number of bottles you think you would need for competition at room temperature (plus a bottle or two for you to sample). Put the rest of the bottles in the fridge. When it's time to send your bottles away for the competition, compare one of the room temperature bottles with the one of the refrigerated bottles and let that determine which bottles to send.

Quick Reply