Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Chill a Coke in 2 minutes... Does anyone do this for cooling kettle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
britishbloke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Chill a Coke in 2 minutes... Does anyone do this for cooling kettle?

http://www.lifehacker.com/software/household/chill-a-coke-in-2-minutes-221974.php

Seems like it would be worth a try....

Although im not sure how much salt to add to the ice water...

Yes I dont have my wort chiller yet.
Primary: Welches Grape Juice
Secondary: Pail Ale (American)
Secondary: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Ghetto Cider (Roundys)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

About 25 years ago, one of the BMCs experimented with a CO2 cartridge in beer cans and got the cooling cycle down to 40 seconds.

"salt and ice in the same one to ten proportion" This will give you 0F brine. Historical fact: that is how the zero point was established by Fahrenheit.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-16-2006, 11:01 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 932 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I do it all the time when I need to quickly chill my dry yeast rehydrating water from boiling to 80. Bowl with water, ice and salt. It takes about 3 minutes.

You could do this on a larger scale to chill your kettle, but it would take a lot of salt. Maybe a sidewalk deicer would work and be cheaper. I'd lean towards getting or building a chiller though.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply