Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cherry Extract

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
H-Man
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Cherry Extract

I want to pep up my Irish red ale with a bit of cherry extract. Are the any suggestions as to how much and when to add. I was to give it a little Zatarain punch. This will be for a 5 gallon Irish red ale.

Any suggestions would be great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
Johnnyhamer
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Add it to your bottling bucket. Basically add to taste. Different extracts have different potency.

Drinking: Beer

Old 04-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
H-Man
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhamer
Add it to your bottling bucket. Basically add to taste. Different extracts have different potency.
The whole 2 oz, or half?

Old 04-13-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Like he said, to taste. So that means you need to make up a small test batch. Take a small sample of the beer, a measured volume, and add a small, measured amount of extract (say, a drop). Drink the sample, and if you like it just scale everything up.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:58 AM   #5
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

An eye dropper drop is about 1/20th of a ML. Knowing that, here's what i'd suggest.

Get your extract and a new, clean eyedropper and a beer that's similar in style to what you want to brew. Pour yourself a single 4 ounce serving (measure it) and add a drop of the extract to it. Taste it. Need more extract? Pour another measured 4 ounce sample then taste. More? Less? Keep pouring measured amounts until you know the right level of drops to 4 ounce pours.

A standard beer is 12 ounces. Once you have the drops measured out for a 4 ounce pour, multiply it by 3 and sample that. It should taste pretty much dialed in by this time.

Now, just figure out how many drops you need for your size batch. Let's say your 12 ounce beer requires 2 drops of extract and you have a 5 gallon batch. 5 gallons = 640 Fl. Oz. or a little over 53 bottles. If you know you need two drops per bottle, that's 53 x 2 = 106 drops per 5 gallon batch. If 20 drops = 1 ml, then 106 divided by 20 = 5.3 ml per 5 gallon batch.

You'll have to plug your own numbers to replace those values to figure out how much you'll need for your batch size. Don't forget to account for the trub loss and angel's share.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.
Johnnyhamer Likes This 
Old 04-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #6
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
An eye dropper drop is about 1/20th of a ML. Knowing that, here's what i'd suggest.

Get your extract and a new, clean eyedropper and a beer that's similar in style to what you want to brew. Pour yourself a single 4 ounce serving (measure it) and add a drop of the extract to it. Taste it. Need more extract? Pour another measured 4 ounce sample then taste. More? Less? Keep pouring measured amounts until you know the right level of drops to 4 ounce pours.

A standard beer is 12 ounces. Once you have the drops measured out for a 4 ounce pour, multiply it by 3 and sample that. It should taste pretty much dialed in by this time.

Now, just figure out how many drops you need for your size batch. Let's say your 12 ounce beer requires 2 drops of extract and you have a 5 gallon batch. 5 gallons = 640 Fl. Oz. or a little over 53 bottles. If you know you need two drops per bottle, that's 53 x 2 = 106 drops per 5 gallon batch. If 20 drops = 1 ml, then 106 divided by 20 = 5.3 ml per 5 gallon batch.

You'll have to plug your own numbers to replace those values to figure out how much you'll need for your batch size. Don't forget to account for the trub loss and angel's share.
That's what I was talking about. You explained it much better

Old 04-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
H-Man
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack

That's what I was talking about. You explained it much better
Great info. Thanks