New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cheerio Blonde

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #1
JRyanC10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cheerio Blonde

My next recipe is going to be a blonde ale. I'd really like to use cheerios as part of my grain profile. However, i'm a bit paranoid about tannins these days (i've had a few batches which seem to have severe tannin issues). I'd like to know the best way to use the cheerios in the recipe. Should I steep them with my grains? I'm worried that they will just dissolve through the grain sack, and then when I crank up the heat for the boil, I wonder if i'll face tannin issues. Or, should I just use some when I transfer into the secondary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #2
mashuganabrew
Brewing... could anything be better?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

I have 3 kids, I can tell you that these things either last forever or turn into the most god awful slurry of mush you'll ever see. I wouldn't recomend using them in the secondary unless you want them to first swell into a massive cheerio paste and then dissolve into a bottom sludge, the like you've never seen. I can't imagine they'll offer any benefit since everything will be cooked out of them in the cereal process. Just use Flaked oats.

[SIZE="1"]Primary 1: Beach Bum Belgian Peach Ale
Primary 2: Farmhouse Rye II
Primary 3: NSB Test IPA
Primary 4: Hair of the Dog Breakfast Stout
Primary 5: Wrong Color IPA
Primary 6: Ginger Beer
Primary 7: Wonderland Winter IPA

Drinking: WAAAY too many to list.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
Camping57
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What is your goal with adding the Cheerios? Need to know that before we can offer suggestions. I sort of agree with Mash that you'll get a cooked Cheerio sludge and not much flavor.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
ericj551
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Sounds like you're just steeping grains and not doing a mini-mash, right? I'm guessing you could get away with cheerios in the mash, but without being converted, I think you'll just end up adding a bunch of starch to your beer.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
JRyanC10
Recipes 

Hey guys. Thanks for taking the time to write. I'm interested in trying this, because i've had a few beers which had a distinct cheerio tone, and I found that I really enjoyed it (Goose Island green line, and Dab). So i'd like to crank up that tone in my batch. I suppose I could use flaked oats in my grain profile.

I'm purely steeping. I have a pretty basic setup and process.

Any recommendations on a yeast that would help to give a grainy flavor?

Quick Reply