Checking Specific Gravity When Transferring to a Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayday1019

Reaction score
Hey All,

Do any of you guys check the sg level of your brew before transferring to the secondary? I guess it would be good to ensure your brew's on the right pace (but what could you do if it wasn't?). And I assume its also good for record keeping.

What do you think?

I always check gravity when racking. Let's me know where the beer is at. If it is high when you rack to secondary it tells you may need more time or it may be that your yeast has given out.
I guess it is personal preference if you check it or not. Bottom line- Does it help you enjoy home brewing more? If it does do it. If not, relax, don't worry, and have a home brew.:mug:

To answer your second question, if successive readings of the gravity show the fermentation has stuck, you can pitch additional yeast, warm the wort slightly, etc. Ale making has a quantitative side as well as a qualitative side and checking the gravity throughout the process is as important as checking the taste.

I ususally check it too. I am not sure why the change. I had never been one that went crazy with gravity.

nope...i check the gravity right before i pitch the yeast, then right before bottle time.

the last time i did check it when i dropped it to secondary the reading was 1.010, 3 weeks later at bottling time it read 1.010...:ban:

I check when I rack to secondary, I figure as long as I'm moving the beer, I may as well see what's going on with it. If I'm having a problem with fermentation, I can try a couple things while the beer's in secondary.

But the most important reason to check the gravity when transferring is -
You get to drink the sample!!:D

flingdingo said:
I check when I rack to secondary, I figure as long as I'm moving the beer, I may as well see what's going on with it. If I'm having a problem with fermentation, I can try a couple things while the beer's in secondary.

But the most important reason to check the gravity when transferring is -
You get to drink the sample!!:D

I have to say I do this also, I don't check until I move my wort as I generally know when my brew is finished anyway. I don't get stuck ferments and I don't muck about in my wort until the racking. I like to taste each stage of the process.

The thing is....its not whether we check it, but why we check it. If we check it at yeast pitching and bottling time it might tell us something. And this number could be way off too. Nor could it be very stable at all. Thats why I check mine somewhere in the middle which naturally hits at racking. And if you had decided to add something to the secondary(like fruit for instance), well thats at least one more time checking the gravity and perhaps two.

Back