Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cereal Mashing "RICE"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2008, 05:21 AM   #11
MikeFlynn74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Use Minute Rice. Add directly to mash.Use Minute Rice. Add directly to mash.Use Minute Rice. Add directly to mash.Use Minute Rice. Add directly to mash.Use Minute Rice. Add directly to mash.Use Minute Rice. Add directly to mash.Use Minute Rice. Add directly to mash.Use Minute Rice. Add directly to mash.

like a bad commerical

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 06:55 AM   #12
javedian
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferpilot
He's right. I'm a cheap a$$ so if I'm using alternative grains, i go for the cheapest available option. Flaked corn from the LHBS costs many times more than a box of generic corn flakes. Uncooked rice can be had for about $1.50 for 5lbs. Really, rice doesn't need to be ground up. I promise it will disolve completely during the cooking/mash process. My objection with the decoction style heating of the grain is that you are going for a very light beer (I'm assuming since you're using rice). Light beers don't cover up the small bit of husk astringency you create by boiling barley. Big malty dark beers, no problem. A Lighter summer lager? You're taking a risk at a funky flavor making it to the finished product.
I used the cereal mash method for my wit using 3.5 lbs wheat flour and 1lb quick oats with a pound of pilsner malt and a pound of wheat malt in the cereal mash. The beer had no astrigincy at all, and final color about BMC Lite (very pale). I boiled for 5 min, then let sit 15 more.

I have used cereal mash also for my rye portion (30%) of my Belgian Strong Dark, mainly for a long glucan rest, and a protien rest - had no sparge issues. I plan to try the method on some other grains in future brews.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:11 AM   #13
AZWyatt
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay
Flaked and gelatinized rice are cool to just toss in the mash. I think they are talking about rice from out of the cabinet which you would use to eat or something like that. If you want to use that kind of rice you can get the uncle ben's minute rice and throw that in after cooking it. The raw rice requires some additional steps which they mentioned above.
So, considering minute rice is just rice that's been cooked and dried, couldn't you just cook some rice first in a separate container, then add it to the mash?

Old 04-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #14
slimer

Recipes 

What would the characteristics of Minute Rice be if I wanted to import that ingredient into Beersmith?

Old 04-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #15
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

same as rice-

virtually no color and almost no taste just alcohol really

The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 04-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #16
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am wanting to know this as well. I have a lot of BMC drinkers that hate my stuff and I would like to brew them one beer. I can't guzzle anything that I brew without it getting to me. I like to pound commercial stuff in the heat of summer playing golf when I don't care about flavor just wetness, and then enjoy my stuff when I get home. I know, I know, yes I still drink BMC, but only during a round or when I have to other places. I have never been able to drink more than about 10 of mine and can kill a 30 pack of Coors light with a buddy's help. It tastes better than water, lol. Seriously though, I am interested in this subject to add to my arsenal.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 04-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #17
WortMonger

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFlynn74
same as rice-

virtually no color and almost no taste just alcohol really
Beersmith just shows flaked rice, so would that be the same as far as numbers go?

Old 04-11-2008, 07:07 PM   #18
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

I believe thats the same- Minute rice is cracked rice

Old 04-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #19
WortMonger

Recipes 

Well, Minute Rice is cracked free from its husk before it is cooked throughly and dried. Flaked rise on the other hand is gelatinized and dried by steam heated rollers squishing them into flakes. I don't know if it is fully cooked before or not???

BTW, I do know that "Par-boiled" rice is yellow because it is partially cooked in the husk for nutrients and then dried and separated from the husk. It is different from Minute Rice in that it isn't fully cooked. I only know about Par-boiled because that is what I have 50#'s of right now and did some research to see if I could use it for brewing . The other stuff I am not so sure of, so I am only saying what I have heard.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #20
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Quote:
"Par-boiled" rice is yellow because it is partially cooked in the husk for nutrients
That would affect the beer greatly

Right minute rice is partially cooked but the starches are there for 2 or 6row to help conver during a mash at least thats my take on it. Ive read several places add minute rice directly to the mash

Quick Reply