Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cereal Mashing "RICE"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2008, 05:59 AM   #1
WBC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Cereal Mashing "RICE"

Cereal mashing rice

Has anyone done a rice cereal mash? I want to lighten up a summer lager and generally have done this before but would like to see if anyone else has any tips or info as to the way they do it.

In a blender grind up a cup of rice at a time to the consistency of cream of wheat.

Procedure:
Strike the main mash to obtain 122 F. Let mash rest.

Rice Cereal
STIR rice mixture the whole time!!! It will burn if not stirred.

In another pot heat rice and water to 158 F to gelatinize the starches. Cool and add 1 LB 6 row crushed grains at 155 F. stir stir stir 20 minutes. This will break down the starch chains and make the cereal loose. Heat to boiling and add to main mash to bring it up to 148 F. Stir well. Let this mash sit 60 to 90 minutes. Sparge to obtain preboil volume. TIP: Use an infusion calculator to figure the volume of boiling rice to add to hit 148 F. Cool the rest of the rice to 148 F and add it to the mash tun. Stir well.

Proceed as normal with your boil and hops.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)
Tap 1: Bill's House Ale II, Tap 2: German Hefewizen, Tap 3: Nut Brown Ale
Future Brews: Stone IPA Clone, Blonde Ale, Budvar Clone, Newcastle Clone
New toy: Blichmann 27 gallon fermentor

“If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging”

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment”

Last edited by WBC; 03-07-2008 at 06:02 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2008, 08:07 AM   #2
shafferpilot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Seems ok. Except for the part where you heat the two-row/rice mixture up to boiling. That's not a good idea. What I do with wheat, rice, flaked corn, corn flakes, etc. is boil some water on the stove in a thick walled pot, dump the stuff in and stir like mad. When it returns to a boil i shut off the burner and continue stirring for a minute or two to avoid scorching. Then I cover the pot and leave it alone for about an hour while I crush grains, sanitize equipment, etc. There's really no need to grind the rice up as it will turn to mush by itself if you give it enough time. Then I put some cold water in the mash tun, add the barley and the boiled mush. The cold water is to keep the MLT temp down around 120. I use 120 as a protien rest when I'm using these adjuncts. From there I use steam infusion to raise temps, so you're on your own after that.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 03-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Frosted Corn Flakes Ale!!!

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 03-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hmmm, seems like a hassle. I have not brewed with rice, and this is probably necessary when using actual rice grains as you mention.

I have brewed with corn and have done nothing more than throw it in the mash, no protein rest, just mash at 150F.

I have 3lb of flaked rice and was planning to just toss it in. Would this be a problem with flaked rice?

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 03-07-2008, 04:16 PM   #5
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferpilot
Seems ok. Except for the part where you heat the two-row/rice mixture up to boiling. That's not a good idea.
Why, I have the starches broken down and partially converted don't I? I am using this boiling rice/grain mixture to raise the main mash to 148 F. This is no different than decoction mashing is it?

I grind up the rice to get as much starches as I can. You can get 30 points out of rice LB/gallon. There are all different kinds of rice too and some do have a nice complementery flavor.

Cheers,
WBC

Fermentor 1: Bill's House Ale II, Fermentor 2: German Helles, Fermentor 3: Bill's Schworzbier (Black Bier)

Old 03-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #6
WBC

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knipknup
I have 3lb of flaked rice and was planning to just toss it in. Would this be a problem with flaked rice?
Not at all, you would get 30 points less efficiency losses per pound/gal used. The only reason I use the grain rice is cost and many different brands/tastes available.

Cheers,
WBC

Old 03-07-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by knipknup
Hmmm, seems like a hassle. I have not brewed with rice, and this is probably necessary when using actual rice grains as you mention.

I have brewed with corn and have done nothing more than throw it in the mash, no protein rest, just mash at 150F.

Flaked and gelatinized rice are cool to just toss in the mash. I think they are talking about rice from out of the cabinet which you would use to eat or something like that. If you want to use that kind of rice you can get the uncle ben's minute rice and throw that in after cooking it. The raw rice requires some additional steps which they mentioned above.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 03-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

The only rice I have used was wild rice (which, I believe, is not a real rice), anyway I just cooked the raw rice and added it to the mash. I actually got a higher effeciency than I had predicted, but more importantly I got a very interesting flavor from the rice.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
shafferpilot

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donasay
Flaked and gelatinized rice are cool to just toss in the mash. I think they are talking about rice from out of the cabinet which you would use to eat or something like that. If you want to use that kind of rice you can get the uncle ben's minute rice and throw that in after cooking it. The raw rice requires some additional steps which they mentioned above.
He's right. I'm a cheap a$$ so if I'm using alternative grains, i go for the cheapest available option. Flaked corn from the LHBS costs many times more than a box of generic corn flakes. Uncooked rice can be had for about $1.50 for 5lbs. Really, rice doesn't need to be ground up. I promise it will disolve completely during the cooking/mash process. My objection with the decoction style heating of the grain is that you are going for a very light beer (I'm assuming since you're using rice). Light beers don't cover up the small bit of husk astringency you create by boiling barley. Big malty dark beers, no problem. A Lighter summer lager? You're taking a risk at a funky flavor making it to the finished product.

A great man knows that he knows NOTHING

Old 03-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #10
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Use Minute Rice. Add directly to mash.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply