Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > The case for protein rests

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2006, 03:34 PM   #1
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Default The case for protein rests

http://realbeer.com/spencer/FAQ/Fix-mash.html

This link is to a very interesting article by the late George Fix about the use of protein rests. Additionally, he discusses the use of moderately modified malt for the production of lagers. This discussion is also picked up in this other Fix article:

http://www.unm.edu/~draper/beer/fixmash.txt

I pass these along as pieces to consider as mash schedules are picked and recipes designed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'll definitely check them out when I get home. Thanks for the links. I was firmly in the single infusion/well-modified camp, but after reading the better part of Warner's wheat beer book (on the strong recommendations of DRB and the Kaiser) I'm having strong second thoughts, at least with wheat malt.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Know what? Too much stupid math for me. Mix hot water with some grain and let it sit. Use more grain if your efficiency is suffering. 2 more pounds of grain sets you back another 2 bucks. Big whoop.

I'm all about improving my beer, but I'm a homebrewer. If I like it, freaking great. Mission accomplished.

Personally I think some of this stuff is crossing the threshold of being too anal retentive for an inexact hobby.

This isn't meant to slam anyone, especially you Brewpastor, just me ranting.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Preach on Brother Dude! I think it's all about what you enjoy. I like getting into the details and experimenting (probably my engineering background), so I like reading stuff like this and then deciding if I want to experiment with it. I'm pretty sure in a lot of cases it's not even about the beer any more (for me), just science.

I really like this hobby/obsession/lifestyle because there's a pretty well defined continuum from boiling pure extract on your stove without understanding how or why (other than to make beer), all the way to a semi-pro setup like the good Pastor has. Once you've found your place on that progression, you're good to go!

Old 03-24-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Before I get flamed--I want to clarify my feelings. I love finding ways to improve my beer. But unless you are brewing on a system like Brewpastor or someone else using more hi tech equipment where mash temp control is the key, those of us with coolers and uncalibrated thermometers and the like, it is next to IMPOSSIBLE to get the exact same results every time. No matter if you experiment or not, so many varibales come into play that will decide the beers flavors for you. We simply cannot control it enough.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 03-24-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I'm kind of in Dude's camp on this. I might get there some day but not with my current 5g round cooler mash equipment.

If it is a recipe that calls for multiple protein rests I just avoid the recipe. I don't do lagers either because of lack of lagering equipment/environment I live in. Aren't lagers the brews that more often call for rests?

Once I start seeing posts on protein rests I glaze over on the subject. Heck, I don't feel like I'm doing a proper mash out for that matter because I can't increase mash temp; only sparge with 168 water. However, I respect BrewPastors commentary based on his brewing history and equipment and look forward to his commentary on the subject!

Old 03-24-2006, 05:46 PM   #7
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, I'm with the Baron here.

If you like it simple, keep it simple. If you like it complicated, there are many ways of making it more complicated. Mashing is only one of them. Others are grain bills and hop schedules.

I like it simple on the recipe side and may make myself more work on the mashing side. But I don't believe that my beer gets better by doing this. But it gives me more to think about and tinker around with. And I'm also heavily influenced by the German brewing community, which likes their mashes complicated .

Ultimately my goal is to master mashing such that I can hit a desired FG for my beer and are able to repeat this FG.

And yes, I'm an engineer too.

Kai

Old 03-24-2006, 07:05 PM   #8
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

Bravo! It is all about doing what brings you joy. I don't imagine there is a single one of us who would waste a moment on any of this if it didn't rock our socks. And as always, different strokes for different folks.

Personally I love reading all this crap over and over, and will pass on what I find that might interest others and know most of it will be glossed over. The reality however is great beer can be made any number of ways.

Old 03-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #9
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Question on the overall basis on mutli-step mashes. Is it to gain in efficiency or quality of end product? Probably an overly simple question on a complicated topic but what da heck

Old 03-24-2006, 07:39 PM   #10
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
Question on the overall basis on mutli-step mashes. Is it to gain in efficiency or quality of end product? Probably an overly simple question on a complicated topic but what da heck
I see justification for a seperate Maltose rest at ~63C and Saccrification rest at ~71C. By doing so the attenuation can be better controlled via the length of the Maltose rest rather than the exact temp of the rest.

I just recently learned that the portions of glucose, maltose, maltotriose and dextrins will be different between a step mash (with multiple saccrification rests) and a single infusion rest with the same attenuation. This may impact the flavor of the beer slightly.

But, as of now, I don't think it is worth the added complexity unless you already doing step mashes for other reason (decoctions to enhance maltiness/color or you have a heated mash-tun).

But even for single infusion mashed I always do a mash-out step since I belive it is easily done by adding boiling water and helps in fixing the wort composition and aids the sparging.

Kai

Quick Reply