Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Carboy Headspace

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #1
Winesburg Ale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Carboy Headspace

I racked an Octoberfest into my secondary fermenter 2 days ago. I was having trouble keeping the trube out of the siphon, so I ended up with less beer in the carboy than I would like. There's probably an inch between the top of the beer and the "shoulder" of the carboy, where it starts tapering towards the neck. I originally thought it wouldn't be a big deal, since the fermentation would soon force out any oxygen. But, the fermentation seems to have stopped. I haven't seen any bubbles through the airlock, except some caused by disturbing the beer when I move the secondary.

Is it worth adding some boiled water and malt extract to top off the beer, or should I just not worry about it? I haven's used a secondary in the past, so I don't know whether or not to expect much fermentation to happen at this point. It think there are still some fermentables left in the wort. I used the SAF dry lager yeast and I have the carboy in my basement at about 58 degrees F. Should I maybe just try moving the beer upstairs for a day or so, where the temperature is more like 68 degrees?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

It'll be fine, no need to add anything else to it.

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
jvh261

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd just leave it. Doesn't sound like you lost too awful much. RDWHAHB. And then another...

Old 01-15-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
kinison_fan
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 15

When I rack to secondary, I usually don't see any activity in the airlock either. Really, it is a clearing stage, you'll only get a small amount of trub-nothing more than a coating on the bottom of the carboy.

-Those that know don’t close the door on those that don’t know (The Gourds, "Education Song")...
-The brewer's yeast ferments, and forgives, all that you did...(The Gourds, "Right in the Head")...

Old 01-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I usually dont see any activity in the airlock in secondary either - still there is some minor fermentation going on. There is still some yeast floating around having fun and doing their thing. Dont worry about the air your beer will be fine.

Quick Reply