New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Carbonation Drops

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
HomerT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Carbonation Drops

Sunday was a busy day during which i had family over, mother's day, racking wine, broken hydrometer, etc. I also decided to bottle my Honey-Amber.

On the ride into work this morning I realized that I may have made a tremendous "dumb-ass" mistake. What you may ask? I can't remember adding my priming sugar to the bottling bucket. Doh! Now, I have done so many batches I can't count and have never done anything like that before. I caleld the wife, and she swears I did add it. I just don't remember it. Once I get home from work, a quick check of my "priming sugar packets" will confirm wether I did or didn't.

If I didn't what is the best was to recover these (mostly flip-lid...thank god)? Coopers drops? How many per fluid ounce (some are 12oz, some are 500ml, some are 750ml, and some are 1L)? Is there a better drop in carbing method?

-Todd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I've use th Coopers single drop in 12oz bottles and they came out fine.

Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've started using them on every batch to ensure I have the correct amount of priming sugar in each bottle. I only bottle in 22ers and it works great with two per.

12 oz / 350 ml - 1 tab
22 oz / 750 ml - 2 tabs

For the 5 hundy and the 1 litre you can figure it by the chart on the back of the packaging and split up some tabs.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerT View Post
Sunday was a busy day during which i had family over, mother's day, racking wine, broken hydrometer, etc. I also decided to bottle my Honey-Amber.

On the ride into work this morning I realized that I may have made a tremendous "dumb-ass" mistake. What you may ask? I can't remember adding my priming sugar to the bottling bucket. Doh! Now, I have done so many batches I can't count and have never done anything like that before. I caleld the wife, and she swears I did add it. I just don't remember it. Once I get home from work, a quick check of my "priming sugar packets" will confirm wether I did or didn't.

If I didn't what is the best was to recover these (mostly flip-lid...thank god)? Coopers drops? How many per fluid ounce (some are 12oz, some are 500ml, some are 750ml, and some are 1L)? Is there a better drop in carbing method?

-Todd
If it turns out you need to add carb tabs, go with Munton's, not coopers. Coopers are fine if you're only using 12oz bottles...because it's one tab per 12oz btl. However, if, like me, you have different bottle sizes (and it appears from above that you do), then Munton's works better because the tabs are smaller---and since the sugar amounts are in smaller increments, you can adjust easier for odd bottle volumes. For instance, for normal carbonation you use 4 tabs per 12oz bottle. So for a 500mL bottle, you'd use 5 or 6 tabs.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
HomerT
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Evan,

I missed your post. I picked up some Coopers drops at lunch along with a replacement for my broken hydrometer (3rd one this year....bad streak). I am going to have to guesstimate the 1L and .5L bottles.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
HomerT
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Well, it turns out my wife's memory is better than mine. I did prime the batch. I will just use the Coopers drops to carb my Belgian Strong...two drops to a belgian 750ml will be perfect.

Thanks guys.

-Todd

Old 05-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sorry, Homer, I wasn't aware that the Munton's versions came in smaller sizes, or I would have steered you in the direction Evan did. I only bottle in 22's so it hasn't been a prob for me yet.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
coyote
Recipes 

so how many Munton's tabs/ bottle to properly carb a Belgian Dark Strong Ale?

a. 12 oz. bottles =
b. 22 oz. bottles =

thanks!

Quick Reply