Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Can't get good late hopping/dry hopping results

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #21
ThatsGoodHead
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I grind my hop pellets in an old school coffee grinder....The hops stay somewhat suspended, but if you give the carboy a bump once a day for a couple days you can watch the hop particles fall beautifully. Cover racking cane with a filter of choice, great hop flavor and aroma is sure to follow. I must say, I like the idea of adding hops in the keg, I will be trying that to. Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #22
etrain666
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierliebhaber View Post
For your 0min addition, cool the wort to 180F before you add it. Then, let it steep for 20-30min.
^This is a great technique for getting more hope aroma and flavor. I actually will skip all hop additions (except for bitter) and then pitch hops right after the boil, no cooling. The extra heat seems to add more flavor, if thats what you are looking for. If you listen to a lot of brewers talk, they say their IPAs have all of their flavor and aroma added in whirlpool, which is pretty much the same thing as the steep.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:04 PM   #23
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I was reading DFH extreme brewing book yesterday. The Russian River guy said they use between 0.5-1.5oz per gallon. So there is certainly room for a couple more oz there, if you like their beers.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #24
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You might consider dry hopping in the primary. I've been battling a similar issue with my hoppy beers. I've been attacking it from all angles and it seems like oxidation is the most likely culprit. It muddles the hop flavor no matter how many ounces you add. My last batch I skipped dry hopping altogether and I seemed to get a much cleaner hop flavor. Next batch ill dry hop in primary. People will tell you that using a secondary wont cause that much oxidation, but my experience is different. Perhaps I'm just sensitive to oxidation... I can't stand old, stale hoppy beers... But it might be something to look into.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:41 AM   #25
brick_haus
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Great thread, albeit confusing with so many different "facts".

Old 01-28-2013, 04:36 AM   #26
leginx
Recipes 

Portland water is very low in minerals. Usually for an IPA you want to spike the sulphates to 50-150 ppm. I'm from Seattle and have a very similar profile. Sulphates at 0-5 ppm. Granted you should still have something coming through when dryhopping. I would check the quality of the hops or your technique. Oxidation, mentioned a few threads back, could be a good culprit.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:37 AM   #27
leginx
Recipes 

Portland water is very low in minerals. Usually for an IPA you want to spike the sulphates to 50-150 ppm. I'm from Seattle and have a very similar profile. Sulphates at 0-5 ppm. Granted you should still have something coming through when dryhopping. I would check the quality of the hops or your brewing technique. Oxidation, mentioned a few threads back, could be a good culprit.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #28
jfrank85
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leginx View Post
Portland water is very low in minerals. Usually for an IPA you want to spike the sulphates to 50-150 ppm. I'm from Seattle and have a very similar profile. Sulphates at 0-5 ppm. Granted you should still have something coming through when dryhopping. I would check the quality of the hops or your brewing technique. Oxidation, mentioned a few threads back, could be a good culprit.
The ratio of sulphate to chloride is what youre looking for. Anything up to 9:1 is acceptable with that being the absolute highest you would want to go. I like to do around 6:1 in my IPA's but thats just how I like them.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #29
SC_Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrank85 View Post
The ratio of sulphate to chloride is what youre looking for. Anything up to 9:1 is acceptable with that being the absolute highest you would want to go. I like to do around 6:1 in my IPA's but thats just how I like them.
I disagree. Sulphate adds a sharpness to your bitter, it has no affect on hop flavor or aroma. I brew with ZERO sulphate in my beers and have terrific aroma and flavor in my hoppy beers. Some people prefer the bite of sulphate but I find beers without it (especially highly bitter beers) to be more pleasant.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #30
jfrank85
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_Ryan View Post

I disagree. Sulphate adds a sharpness to your bitter, it has no affect on hop flavor or aroma. I brew with ZERO sulphate in my beers and have terrific aroma and flavor in my hoppy beers. Some people prefer the bite of sulphate but I find beers without it (especially highly bitter beers) to be more pleasant.
I was merely commenting on the quote about sulphate numbers, not it's correlation to aroma or flavor.

Quick Reply