Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Can't get beer to boil over!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
malkore
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blow Leprechaun View Post
Honestly, if your stove on its highest setting can't get 10 quarts of water to a rolling boil, I'd want to make sure there's not something wrong with the stove. 10 quarts of water is not all that much.
depends on the stove. I have a glasstop range, and can't get a decent boil if the diameter of the pot is more than 1/2" wider than the burner.

reason is the cook top has heat sensors in it that turn the element off if the area around it gets too hot. prevents damage to the cook top...supposedly.

I bought a 5 gallon pot for better extract boils, and never got it to even boil 3 gallons of water.

so now it sits...un-used. sigh.
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 12:23 AM   #12
Ben25
Recipes 

I had the same problem... until I bought a turkey fryer! Seriously though, my first and second batches were done partial boil on the stove and I had the same problem of not getting a vigorous boil. I can barely taste the hops in my first batch, and I used 2 oz.

Primary #1:
Primary #2:
Secondary #1: Mead Experiment
Secondary #2: Welch's Wine Experiment
Kegged: Organic APA, Kick the Bucket APA, Pub Ale, Argentine Cascade IPA, ESB
Bottled: Wild Raspberry Cider, Cyser, Insane IPA, Lady Bug Pumpkin Ale, Cider, Christmas Cider.
RIP: Raspberry Hefeweizen, Hoppy Lager, California Common, Oktoberfest, Hefeweizen, Melted tubing brown ale, Honey blonde ale

Old 07-01-2008, 01:57 AM   #13
Slipgate
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

This is a newer gas stove. Maybe I need to have the gas man come out and check the burner to make sure it is setup properly. The delivery guy that connected it all up was kind of an idiot. I'll bet there is too much or too little air or something like that.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #14
The Blow Leprechaun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipgate View Post
This is a newer gas stove. Maybe I need to have the gas man come out and check the burner to make sure it is setup properly. The delivery guy that connected it all up was kind of an idiot. I'll bet there is too much or too little air or something like that.
If you have the owner's manual, it might tell you how many BTUs it's designed for, then you can calculate how long it should take to boil water and see if something's off.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #15
Jack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brew on a standard gas stove and I can get wicked boils going. It just takes forever to get there. After mashing I put my pot on the stove, turn up the burners, and walk away and check it every 10-15 minutes until it's really boiling. Only then do I start my 60 minute timer.

If your pot will fit on two burners, you might want to try that. I use two burners to get to the boil and one to maintain it.

Quick Reply