Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Techniques (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/)
-   -   Cannot cold crash 3 days prior bottling.. use gelatin ? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/cannot-cold-crash-3-days-prior-bottling-use-gelatin-368089/)

beauvafr 11-16-2012 02:32 AM

Cannot cold crash 3 days prior bottling.. use gelatin ?
 
My IPA is sitting in the secondary carboy right now with about 2.5 oz of hops in pellets in a muslim bag floating near the top, and I think it will be ready for bottling in about 2-3 days (according to the taste I got from the sample I took today).

I don't have a fridge to cold crash, but i'd like to get the clearer beer possible. I was thinking of using gelatin.

When to add it and how?

TheBeerist 11-16-2012 09:18 PM

Bon soir! I loved Quebec City when I visited. Beautiful city, plus I went to a really nice strip club too haha :mug:

I know this is a rather inexact science, but I know that your weather has you right around freezing temperatures. Would it be too much to move your carboy outside for an hour or two prior to bottling?

I haven't used fining agents, so I'll let someone else chime in about that.

beauvafr 11-16-2012 09:49 PM

@TheBeerist I can certainly move it outside on Sunday. Weather forecast is indicating between 2 to -4 celcius. But I dont think I can let the carboy sit outside for the night because it will freeze (-4 celsius).

I think the longest period I could coldcrash outside would be about 8 consecutive hours during the day, when the weather will be around 2 to 0 celcius.

Will it really help? What do you guys think?

beauvafr 11-16-2012 09:50 PM

@TheBeerist Strip clubs in Quebec city??? What ? Never heard of it ;)

StoutMeister 11-16-2012 09:55 PM

0.5 tsp per 5gal of beer for the gelatin.

let it soak in about 1\8 cup of water for 60 min

add hot water to disolve after the 60 min about 1/4 to 1/2 cup

works best to do this right after you transfer to secondary

4-5 days and it will be very clear

rack to bucket and bottle as normal

beauvafr 11-17-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoutMeister (Post 4596695)
0.5 tsp per 5gal of beer for the gelatin.

let it soak in about 1\8 cup of water for 60 min

add hot water to disolve after the 60 min about 1/4 to 1/2 cup

works best to do this right after you transfer to secondary

4-5 days and it will be very clear

rack to bucket and bottle as normal

I only have 2 days left.. Still ok / worth it ?

StoutMeister 11-17-2012 01:43 PM

ido not know if 2 days is long enough. will waiting 4 days matter that much ? if you want super clear beer i would stir it in let it sit 4 days then rack and bottle, but thats just me and i dont always do things the "right" way

highgravitybacon 11-17-2012 04:16 PM

The gelatin requires time and cold. The beer should be cool or cold when you add the gelatin and remain as cold as possible to expedite the process. 31F is a good temp.

I did some cider this way and it worked well.

beauvafr 11-17-2012 05:10 PM

Ok thanks all for the advices and tips. :)

Since I don't have much time left, today I will drop down the temperature in my basement where the carboy is located. In the evening I will remove the dry hops bag from carboy and put gelatin.

Tomorrow I will cold crash outside all day long and.. bottle in the evening! Voilą.

What do you think?

Will there be gelatin in the bottles interfering with the yeast/carbonation?

highgravitybacon 11-17-2012 07:51 PM

I don't understand the arbitrary time frame. You will need at least a week to bottle carbonate. Then you will need to bottle condition for a time too.

So yes, you might get it to work in a 2 day period, but what is two days vs. 3 days when you have at least a few weeks more to wait?


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:44 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.