Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Cane Sugar...? In a pinch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
roymullins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Cane Sugar...? In a pinch

Dang it! Don't have any corn sugar and I gotta bottle now! Reading that others have had good luck using regular cane sugar... I have 3 gallons of nut brown ale to bottle tonight- thinking about 2 onces of white table sugar- anyone see anything wrong with that idea! Don't want to overdo and and have bottle bombs or crappy tasting brew in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #2
BA_from_GA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I was bottling I exclusively used table sugar or brown sugar. Google tasty brew priming calculator and its will give you quantities for the various types of sugars to get the volumes of carbonate desire.

brewing lots, rather not keep it all updated here

inhbc.org

Old 10-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
BetterSense
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have heard that you are supposed to use a bit more by weight when you use cane sugar. However, I once substituted cane sugar exactly for corn sugar and 6 months later the beer is fine.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The differences are slight. I think you'd use about 5% more cane.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:27 AM   #5
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
I have heard that you are supposed to use a bit more by weight when you use cane sugar. However, I once substituted cane sugar exactly for corn sugar and 6 months later the beer is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarnigle View Post
The differences are slight. I think you'd use about 5% more cane.
Wrong! This is bad advice and can result in bottle bombs.

Cane/Beet/Table sugar is perfectly fine to bottle with. I use it all the time. Both corn sugar and table sugar are tasteless, do the same job, but corn sugar is more expensive, while having less 'sugar' for the same weight.

Cane/Beet/Table sugar has more 'sugar' by weight than corn sugar, so you need to use less, 20% less. If you would normally use 5 ozs of corn sugar, you would need to use 4 ozs of table sugar.

Use a calculator. there are plenty of them on-line.

....... 2 ozs is an OK amount, but you should really check what you need based on the volumes of CO2 you want for the style of beer.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I use cane sugar all the time. I've tried corn sugar, "raw" sugar (some organic hippy sugar), and sugar so cheap it comes in a white bag with "SUGAR" in black writing. I have to tell you some important findings from using it. It all seems to be exactly the same. Yes, exactly the same. I have found that the little yeasts don't care how much you spent on sugar. They don't care if its organic, gluten free, almond, made from beets, corn, peas, leather or gravy. It's all sugar to them. They eat eat eat and the bottles get fizzy. I use table sugar. The amount per 5 gallons is so miniscule that I have a hard time believing it makes the least bit of difference. And it doesn't seem to in any beer I made.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I use table sugar for all my batches but the very first batch. turns out great each and every time.

use this to figure out how much you need for your style

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

but from your specs (3 gallons of brown ale) you'd use about 2 ounces of Table sugar

Old 10-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
Wrong! This is bad advice and can result in bottle bombs.

Cane/Beet/Table sugar is perfectly fine to bottle with. I use it all the time. Both corn sugar and table sugar are tasteless, do the same job, but corn sugar is more expensive, while having less 'sugar' for the same weight.

Cane/Beet/Table sugar has more 'sugar' by weight than corn sugar, so you need to use less, 20% less. If you would normally use 5 ozs of corn sugar, you would need to use 4 ozs of table sugar.

Use a calculator. there are plenty of them on-line.

....... 2 ozs is an OK amount, but you should really check what you need based on the volumes of CO2 you want for the style of beer.
Yeah I typed it backwards (need more corn), but I don't know about 20%. I'm using Palmer's numbers in HTB and he has them about 5% apart by weight.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarnigle View Post
Yeah I typed it backwards (need more corn), but I don't know about 20%. I'm using Palmer's numbers in HTB and he has them about 5% apart by weight.
I just looked it up and you are right, Palmer does have them closer together. I have always assumed cane sugar gave 46 points in a gallon and corn sugar gave 37. This is a difference of 20/25% (depending on which way you look at it).

In checking Papazian (Home Brewer's Companion), he has then at 46 and 37 too.

Leads to the question: What is the right number for specific gravity for corn sugar?

Old 10-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #10
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 2074 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Dextrose and Table sugar are both 1.046

Quick Reply