The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Can I use a Corny Keg as a Primary Fermenter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #21
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

I've never understood the "cornies are hard to clean" thing. They're certainly no worse than a carboy, and I'd say they're a lot better.

I do pressurized fermentations in cornies, and I would never go back to glass or plastic. It is vastly easier this way.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #22
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Do a search. There are a LOT of threads on this. It's a personal preference...but I can say that cleaning isn't an issue if you have a keg cleaner system and do several kegs at a time.

When fermenting, take out all diptubes and posts and set them aside. Put small stoppers in the diptube holes. Remove the pressure relief valve and insert blowoff. Fermcap will keep the krausen down. When ready to transfer, reinsert diptubes and transfer to a new keg with a liquid jumper. Use swivel fittings on it and you can runoff the first bit of yeast and reconnect to finish transferring.

It really is a slick system...and these fermenters can go back to being kegs if you need the extra capacity. Can't do that with a carboy or bucket. They also retain their value indefinitely....you can sell them for what you paid.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #23
theck
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I've been picking up kegs pretty cheap and thinking about doing this as well... anyone have any issues the further they got into it? Wondering about high gravity beers and the need for 1" blow off tubes?

Co2 Taps: xmas ale (for july), Cider, Belgium Strong Ale, hefe
Nitro Tap: Stout
Fermenting: Saison, ESB, brett infected, kolsch, Pale Ale

Old 12-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #24
ianw58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 42

A number of years ago, I managed to score a pair of 10 gallon cornies that have become my primary fermenters. I have an extra pair of gas posts, one for each keg.

The posts have no poppets; they're just empty bodies. Each post has length of vinyl hose stuck on it as a blow off tube. I fastened wire around the necks of a pair of water bottles that I hook onto the kegs as the blow off tube reservoirs.

I typically brew volumes to put about 8 gallons of wort into the kegs to ferment. I've never has a problem with blow outs of crazy over blows.

Cleaning, as long as you don't let crud dry on, is not a problem. Warm PBW solution is our friend.

I did finally get a bit tired of scrubbing on the krausen ring, though. So, without knowing about "Mark's Keg Washer", I built one of my own. Even with a pump and other parts, I spend well under $40. It does a great job and I don't have to scrub anymore.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...washer-449336/

The old carboys are used for cider fermenting. Cider doesn't get light struck, so glass is not a problem.

In short, in my opinion, corny kegs as fermenters are far superior to glass. Any of the negatives presented in this thread are easily overcome.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #25
theck
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 56

My only worry is clogging or a super active fermentation of the blow off and screwing up the batch. Some articles say corny is 6 gallons but some say 5... I like the idea but having less beer in the end I'd rather stick to buckets really.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Co2 Taps: xmas ale (for july), Cider, Belgium Strong Ale, hefe
Nitro Tap: Stout
Fermenting: Saison, ESB, brett infected, kolsch, Pale Ale

Old 12-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #26
sikkingj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

I've been using four pin lock kegs to ferment in for two years - they are wonderful. I take the gas poppet and dip tube out and use vinyl tubing to fit over the gas in port, secure with a tube tie and wham other best carboy ever.

As to the 5 versus 6 gallon, I think they are a bit smaller (closer to 5 gallon), but dry hopping, etc. is so easy. Keg lube is your friend for sealing your fermenter, remember that your beer will be producing CO2 and thereby maintaining positive pressure in the fermenter.

Quick Reply