Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Can I re-prime my bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Priemus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Can I re-prime my bottles?

I brewed a bayer style beer from extract about 6 months ago, bottled without tasting (stupid I know) tried some every few weeks, and while it is now quite drinkable it's more like a cheap american malt licour in taste than a beer as it lacks any real bitter taste.

My Idea is to empty the bottles out, let em go flat, add some isomised hop extract which I have had nice results with before to taste, reprime the bottles with some suger and cap em.

Will that work? Or will I just end up with dead/horrible beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priemus View Post
I brewed a bayer style beer from extract about 6 months ago, bottled without tasting (stupid I know) tried some every few weeks, and while it is now quite drinkable it's more like a cheap american malt licour in taste than a beer as it lacks any real bitter taste.

My Idea is to empty the bottles out, let em go flat, add some isomised hop extract which I have had nice results with before to taste, reprime the bottles with some suger and cap em.

Will that work? Or will I just end up with dead/horrible beer?
It would more than likely lead to horrible oxydized or just plain nasty beer....

If it has been in the bottles several months and you aren't happy with it, then cook with it, give it to someone who might like it, or *shudders* dump it...

If you have given it sufficient time to not be green and are un happy with it then there's no point in holding on to it...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-31-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
Priemus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wont be dumping it, worst case senario is that it ends up in a still, but I just wondered if there was a way to get around the very sweet flavour, other than pouring it and adding half a drop of extract 1 glass at a time

I figured that was maybe a silly idea, clutching at straws.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priemus View Post
I wont be dumping it, worst case senario is that it ends up in a still, but I just wondered if there was a way to get around the very sweet flavour, other than pouring it and adding half a drop of extract 1 glass at a time

I figured that was maybe a silly idea, clutching at straws.
You could try mixing it with another beer...not in the fermenter or in a bottle, I mean do some creative mixing with other beers in the glass....I picked up a Sam Adams Summer ale that was just horrid one day. I wanted a wit, but didn't want to drive across town to the good beer store for hoegaarden....I nearly wretched....I ranted on here and someone suggested doing the ole wussy add an orange slice thing...Turned out I have a Ginger Orange Dortmunder that came out too tart this batch...so I played around with doing mixes....50-50, 70-30. It was fun and I was able to get through the nasty sixer....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-31-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 928 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 1999

+1 for Revvy. It turned out the way it turned out. My suggestion would be to get a kit from a reputable vendor here (Austin Homebrew for example), in a style that's not too challenging, follow the directions and brew another batch. Sorry the first one didn't turn out the way you were hoping.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Priemus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the tips, I never thought of a "beer cocktail" approach, but that did juts remind me that my girlfriend would love to drink them, that is after i 50/50 it with 7up haha!

Wont goto waste I assure you.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
sundowner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thru this journey on the wonderful road of homebrewing, I have used the following quotes to guide me...

"Life is too short to drink bad beer"

"If you want to be good, you're going to have to dump some beer"

A person who knows everything, knows nothing...

Quick Reply