Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Can I make a starter out of some trub and dme

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2005, 03:31 AM   #1
cbotrice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Can I make a starter out of some trub and dme

I have had to wait almost two weeks to move a batch from primary to secondary, can I take about of a cup of trub and put it in with a boiled dme starter to get the yeast back in the game or should I just go ahead and dump a second batch right on top of the yeast cake? Thanks, MPW

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2005, 03:36 AM   #2
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you're going to make the same kind of brew again, then just dump it in on top of the trub.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 09-08-2005, 04:18 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The yeast is already alive....it's its own starter now.

I mentioned in an earlier thread (today) that if you leave a couple inches of beer in the primary with the yeast it should last for several weeks.

Pour your cooled wort on top of the yeast.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:50 AM   #4
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The cake from the primary is what you don't want. This contains some nasty tasting by products given off during primary fermentation. This is one of the reasons to transfer off of it into a secondary. When brewers harvest yeast they purge this sediment and wait for the next collection to harvest. What falls out while the beer is in the secondary is going to be a cleaner sample.

Old 09-12-2005, 04:26 AM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Ray
The cake from the primary is what you don't want. This contains some nasty tasting by products given off during primary fermentation. This is one of the reasons to transfer off of it into a secondary. When brewers harvest yeast they purge this sediment and wait for the next collection to harvest. What falls out while the beer is in the secondary is going to be a cleaner sample.
While the debate continues about which fermentation to collect yeast from...read this: NOTE #4...

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=7652

Old 09-12-2005, 05:30 AM   #6
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Ray

This is the first time I've heard that.

I believe that the reason to ract to the secondary is to prevent the yeast from "autolizing" sp?

When the yeast run completely out of food and begin consuming each other, this is where the bad flavors from the primary occur and this can take up to three weeks to happen.

If you'll just refrigerate your trub between batches if there's a delay or as others have said, just use your yeast cake for the next primary with new wort, that's the best yeast starter you can get. Lots and lots of good yeast to get the job done faster.

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Old 09-13-2005, 03:31 AM   #7
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
While the debate continues about which fermentation to collect yeast from...read this: NOTE #4...

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=7652
This mentions a good middle ground concept, collecting a sample of the primary cake to repitch instead of using the entire cake. My own thoughts is that even though you can collect plenty of yeast from a primary or secondary, it will be more prone to infection due to the additional contact with equipment and handling. If I felt comfortable with that then I will be left with the delima of primary or secondary yeast. Being the indecisive anal person I am, I will continue with cultures. My recent venture is to make a starter in a 1000ml flask from a Wyeast pack and then divide this into six 150ml flasks. Each one of these will be used to build upto a 1000ml flask starter again. For me this is an appetizer leading into the main course of brewing.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:01 PM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

I do a similar practice of breaking up a vial into smaller batches for starters.

No use throwing good yeast away when you can make it grow!

Quick Reply