Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Can I brew beer in a 5 gallon cooler but boil the wort in 2 smaller pots?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default Can I brew beer in a 5 gallon cooler but boil the wort in 2 smaller pots?

Do you guys think it would be possible to make 5 gallon of wort in a cooler and then boil it in 2 different pots (since I only have 3 gallon pots), dividing the necessary amount of hops between the 2 pots, and then pouring the contents of the two 3-gallon pots in the big fermenter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Sure can. Just keep in mind with two pots you will have a larger boil off rate than just one pot so sparge a little more than usual.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
motorneuron
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I had to start doing this once I started all-grain, because I wound up needing more wort to sparge than I had realized, especially for higher gravity beers. But yeah, you can definitely do it. It's easy when your two pots are both the same size, since you can just split everything in half. (Try not to just put the first runnings all in one pot though, since then you'll have two different boil gravities, which will change hop usage. Mix the wort together.)

Old 04-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Elysium
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorneuron View Post
I had to start doing this once I started all-grain, because I wound up needing more wort to sparge than I had realized, especially for higher gravity beers. But yeah, you can definitely do it. It's easy when your two pots are both the same size, since you can just split everything in half. (Try not to just put the first runnings all in one pot though, since then you'll have two different boil gravities, which will change hop usage. Mix the wort together.)
Thanks for the reply. I'll make the wort in one go, then use 2 pots to drain the wort and in those 2 pots I'll boil them with the hops. Then I mix them into one in the fermenter. Is this what you meant?

Old 04-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
motorneuron
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I mean that when you drain the wort, don't just drain into the first pot, add sparge water, and drain into the second pot. If you do that, pot #1 will have a much higher-gravity wort than pot #2, which will affect hop usage. So make sure that you mix the wort a bit when you drain it from your cooler and sparge.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I do that all the time - one thing to watch out for is timing - it's really REALLY bad when both pots have boil off at the same time . . . . if you get what I mean!

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Elysium
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorneuron View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I mean that when you drain the wort, don't just drain into the first pot, add sparge water, and drain into the second pot. If you do that, pot #1 will have a much higher-gravity wort than pot #2, which will affect hop usage. So make sure that you mix the wort a bit when you drain it from your cooler and sparge.
What if I just mix the main wort and the wort from sparging? Isnt that what I should do anyway?

Old 04-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #8
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Yes. You want your full volume preBoil blended together than split it into two pots

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Quick Reply