Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Can anyone tell me how this wort chiller works?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2013, 12:22 AM   #1
Elysium
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Default Can anyone tell me how this wort chiller works?

I have found this wort chiller in a local shop..

I am just wondering how it work....I hook it up to the water source and put it in the wort? If yes, then one thing concerns me.....how can I use water in this chiller that is from another vessel (a vessel full of icy water)? Is there a way to make gravity push the icy water through it and thus shortening the cooling time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
Racecarjoe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

You can either hook it up to your home water supply via garden hose connections or if you are using a big tub of ice water, you would need a pump to push the ice water through the chiller.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
phuff7129
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 63

You can hook it up to a garden hose or faucet and then have a drain hose or you can buy a submersible pump to pump ice water from another vessel. I live in Minnesota and our tap water rarely gets above 60 degrees so it cools very nicely hooked up to a garden hose.

This might be the beer talking....but I really love beer!

Old 05-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #4
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

U could also use it the opposite way if u have a pump.. Put that in a large bucket full of ice and add some water and some salt to keep it extra cold. then pump the wort from ur BK thru it and into the carboy.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 05-18-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 595 Times on 503 Posts
Likes Given: 160

With that one you hook up one end to a cold water source and the other end drains - into a sink, yard...
I made mine. I have two coils from Home Depot. One is smaller than the other so I can put both in the wort. or I can put the smaller one in a bucket of cold water and ice.

The big trick is to keep the wort moving. If it is still the wort immediately next to the chiller cools but it takes a long time to chill the rest. I plan someday to get an electric motor the will turn slowly and add something to stir the wort.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
Brewbien
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
I have found this wort chiller in a local shop..

I am just wondering how it work....I hook it up to the water source and put it in the wort? If yes, then one thing concerns me.....how can I use water in this chiller that is from another vessel (a vessel full of icy water)? Is there a way to make gravity push the icy water through it and thus shortening the cooling time?
You would need a pump to push icy water through it, most people use it the normal way.

Normal Way

Step 1: Put immersion chiller in boiling wort to sanitze (about 10-15min before end of boil)

Step 2: Hookup immersion chiller to sink or hose (make sure water outlet is not going into kettle)

Step 3: Once boil is over cover pot, to keep out bad things, and turn on water

Step 4: Once temp in down to pitching range, high 60's, move wort to fermenter and pitch yeast

Old 05-18-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
Elysium
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuff7129 View Post
You can hook it up to a garden hose or faucet and then have a drain hose or you can buy a submersible pump to pump ice water from another vessel. I live in Minnesota and our tap water rarely gets above 60 degrees so it cools very nicely hooked up to a garden hose.
Would a manual pump do the job? I mean it is lame to pump manually for 30 minutes...but I dont mind the extra sweat. I mean if I find a way to hook a manual pump to this wort chiller, then it should work...right?

The reason why I am trying so hard to make this wort....is because icy water must chill it a lot faster than tap water.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post

The reason why I am trying so hard to make this wort....is because icy water must chill it a lot faster than tap water.
It depends on where you live. If you live in Arizona, your tap water will NEVER chill the wort enough. If you live next door to me, your tap water will chill the wort in 15 minutes or less (tap water is currently 45 degrees).

Icy water isn't all that faster- as ice melts fast and the water bath heats up very fast.

Most people with too-warm tap water will chill the wort with tap water to 100 degrees, and then switch over to a pump (or use a prechiller) and ice bath to get down to the 60s finally.

The water coming OUT of the wort chiller is boiling at first. If it goes back to your ice bath, it will stop chilling really quickly!

Old 05-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #9
plumber_bob
Life gets in the way of brewing way too much!!!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 251

I use 60lb of ice to chill 10 gal of wort. I put 5 gal of water in it and use an immersion chiller. I pump the water in and put the output water into my HLT for after brew cleaning. As needed I pour return water over the ice to keep chilled water on hand.

Works pretty good, 15 mins an I'm at pitching temps, plus I got plenty of water to heat and clean with.

pb

Old 05-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #10
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I use the outlet water from my chiller to sanitize my tools and fermenting vessel. I add 1 oz of Star-san, and turn the chiller on slow. The outlet tube goes into the airlock grommet and the lid is loosely set on top of the bucket. When foam appears the chill is close to done and I have a fresh clean batch of sanitizer right where I need it for long enough to work well. I throw my spoon and anything else like the airlock, thermometer and whatever tools I need in the bucket as it is filling. You can also use an inexpensive pond or hydroponics pump to push the ice cold water through the chiller too. If I use Ice water I add a bit of salt to keep the temp below 32 and still make a batch of sanitizer with the outflow too.

Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Quick Reply