Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Campden tablets in a fruit beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2007, 12:47 AM   #1
rdwj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

Default Campden tablets in a fruit beer?

I'm making a couple of different wheat beers that I intend to add fruit to. Would it be worth adding campden tablets to prevent the fermentation of the fruit I add? If so, and idea how much to add? Additionally, what effect will it have on the fruit flavors if any?

I carb with C02, so having yeast for bottling isn't an issue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
Got Trub?
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You want your fruit to ferment - just not with wild yeast and bacteria. You can treat your fruit with camden tablets overnight to sanitize it and then rack your beer onto the fruit in a secondary. If you add the camden tablets to your beer you will kill your yeast. There will be minimal if any taste affect. Some people are sensitive to sulfites however and may have a reaction to your beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply