The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Calibrating Hydrometer in tap water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
mkorpal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Calibrating Hydrometer in tap water?

Quick question to you all. After realizing that my cider should not come out to 1.010 and my Saison should not come out to 1.020, I decided to do a quick calibration of my hydrometer. I only had tap water, no distilled water, and at 64 degrees, it came out to 1.005. Will using tap water vs distilled water make enough of a difference or should I be content to add .005 to all my readings. Thanks.

Primary: Exam Brown Ale
Primary: Unknown Mead
Secondary: Matt's Saison
Carbing: Raspberry Apple Cider 333
Enjoying: Lazy Ass Orange Pale Ale, Belgian Grand Cru, Belgian Dubble, Cherry Stout, Demonstration IPA

On Deck: Black IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorpal View Post
Quick question to you all. After realizing that my cider should not come out to 1.010 and my Saison should not come out to 1.020, I decided to do a quick calibration of my hydrometer. I only had tap water, no distilled water, and at 64 degrees, it came out to 1.005. Will using tap water vs distilled water make enough of a difference or should I be content to add .005 to all my readings. Thanks.
I guess it depends on what's in your tap water! I'd try to get a small amount of distilled water and testing it again, before trusting it.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd expect you won't see much of a difference, even if you have hard water, since most minerals are measured in ppm (parts per million), so there isn't much there.
If you're getting the water from an aerated faucet, you might try letting the water sit overnight to let the air come out of solution, but it probably won't make much difference.

If you'd like to do a multipoint calibration, it's pretty easy to make sugar solutions and use the Brix scale. Kinda fun for geeks, but not really needed.
I've also done my own temperature correction chart, and that is clearly overkill

Old 06-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
mkorpal
Recipes 

Thanks. I may pick up some distilled water when I'm at the store. But I'm not too terrible anal about being exact, so I may not worry too much about it.

Primary: Exam Brown Ale
Primary: Unknown Mead
Secondary: Matt's Saison
Carbing: Raspberry Apple Cider 333
Enjoying: Lazy Ass Orange Pale Ale, Belgian Grand Cru, Belgian Dubble, Cherry Stout, Demonstration IPA

On Deck: Black IPA

Old 06-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have pretty hard tap water, and my hydro reads 1.000.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply