The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Calculations: Dual Boil Evaporation Rate

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
JoshJoshua
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Calculations: Dual Boil Evaporation Rate

Im currently running a dual boil after I collect my runnings, and I feel like I'm missing my post boil volumes. If my batch is being split to ~3/gals a pot(x2 5gal pots) should I change my evaporation rate to double?

Right now in BeerSmith Im set at .5 gal/hr evaporation, but if I'm boiling in two pots should it be up'd to 1 gal/hr? I dont know, it might just be me and the numbers not playing out right in my head, but any insight into this would helpful.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

Your boil rate is going to partially depend on the size of your pots, so going from one bigger pot to two smaller pots would probably increase the boil off. I don't know that it would necessarily be twice as much, but its certainly something you're going to have to figure out. For now, figure out how far off you're batches are currently, and change the beersmith settings to reflect what its looking like. You might have to change it around a little bit after a few batches to dial in your system, but then you should be fairly good.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 41

You should boil 3 gallons in each pot for an hour, the same way you would do your beer. Check how much has evaporated from each pot... that is you boil off rate for each pot.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Dave the Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

.5 gal/hr sounds like a mild boil in any pot to me, I would think with two pots you would be losing atleast 1 gal/hr. The best thing to do would be to do what Matt said and boil 3 gals of water in each pot for an hour as an experiment to find out your evaporation rate.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If you're achieving a good rolling boil, I'd expect at least .75-1 gallons per hour per pot so start with about 3.5g per pot. Boiloff has a lot to do with wort surface area and yes, two 5g pots will have more surface than one 10g.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply