Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Calculating efficiency in boiler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
maltMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Calculating efficiency in boiler

Quick question -- I don't take the SG of what ends up in my boil kettle because by the time my sparge is done I'm pretty much at a boil. I do take a gravity reading of the first and final runnings however.

Can I average the first and final runnings to get the efficiency into the boiler?

It seems to add up in Beersmith -- for example I plan for and get 80% efficiency. My first runnings are 1.053 and my final runnings are 1.025. The average is 1.039 -- I put this into Beersmith and it comes out with exactly 80% eff into the boiler.....so that's got to be right, correct?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

If you're batch sparging (and I assume you are, given those numbers) AND if your two runnings are the same volume, it's close enough.

Why not just take a sample at the start of your boil, let it cool, and get a gravity reading?

Old 03-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew
If you're batch sparging (and I assume you are, given those numbers) AND if your two runnings are the same volume, it's close enough.

Why not just take a sample at the start of your boil, let it cool, and get a gravity reading?
Actually I'm fly sparging -- the first reading is the very first wort out of the MLT (after vorlauf) and the last reading is right when I have collected my full boil volume.

I guess I could pull a sample from the boil kettle and keep it in a glass container until it had cooled....I was just curious about the math.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 975 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 28

With fly sparging, the gravity drop is theoretically linear (or close) but I wouldn't want to chance it. If preboil is something you want to record, stir the wort in the kettle and pull a sample. It's the only accurate way assuming you have a method of measuring volume as well.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 03-19-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'll have to start putting that sample aside like you guys are suggesting and compare it to the first/final runnings avg.....This is just curiosity on my part -- I actually don't worry about boiler eff.

Quick Reply