Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Calculating efficiency in boiler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
maltMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Calculating efficiency in boiler

Quick question -- I don't take the SG of what ends up in my boil kettle because by the time my sparge is done I'm pretty much at a boil. I do take a gravity reading of the first and final runnings however.

Can I average the first and final runnings to get the efficiency into the boiler?

It seems to add up in Beersmith -- for example I plan for and get 80% efficiency. My first runnings are 1.053 and my final runnings are 1.025. The average is 1.039 -- I put this into Beersmith and it comes out with exactly 80% eff into the boiler.....so that's got to be right, correct?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

If you're batch sparging (and I assume you are, given those numbers) AND if your two runnings are the same volume, it's close enough.

Why not just take a sample at the start of your boil, let it cool, and get a gravity reading?

Old 03-19-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew
If you're batch sparging (and I assume you are, given those numbers) AND if your two runnings are the same volume, it's close enough.

Why not just take a sample at the start of your boil, let it cool, and get a gravity reading?
Actually I'm fly sparging -- the first reading is the very first wort out of the MLT (after vorlauf) and the last reading is right when I have collected my full boil volume.

I guess I could pull a sample from the boil kettle and keep it in a glass container until it had cooled....I was just curious about the math.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

With fly sparging, the gravity drop is theoretically linear (or close) but I wouldn't want to chance it. If preboil is something you want to record, stir the wort in the kettle and pull a sample. It's the only accurate way assuming you have a method of measuring volume as well.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 03-19-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'll have to start putting that sample aside like you guys are suggesting and compare it to the first/final runnings avg.....This is just curiosity on my part -- I actually don't worry about boiler eff.

Quick Reply