Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Bulk Condition Or Bottle Condition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 03:52 AM   #11
FlyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhoney
I think ~2 months is my minimum for my 'robust' beers. Well, assuming its cleaned up and you don't have any flaws in the beer, do you still think it matures faster in bulk?
As soon as I brew a beer that is clean and without flaws I will let you know!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 04:40 AM   #12
Rudeboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was just about to post a related question.

I recently got BeerSmith (love it) and brewed the Praire Oatmeal Stout recipe in "Sample Recipes"

(Sorry a little OT as it's not a "BIG" beer, 1.050 OG )

BeerSmith said 4 days primary, 7 days secondary, 4 weeks bottle.

That seemed a couple of days short in the primary and a couple of weeks short in the secondary. Anyone brewed this?

Thanks

Rudeboy

Primary: Saskatchewan Wheat; NBA
Bottled Aging: English Barleywine '14;
Kegged Aging:
Kegged Ready: MNF Lager; Left Over IPA
Bottled Ready: English Barleywine '12; Russian Imperial Stout; Wee Heavy; London Porter; Belgium Golden Strong; Westy 12; Arrogant Bastard; Magpie Rye Ale; Leffe

Old 10-30-2007, 03:56 PM   #13
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I had a batch in the secondary for 4 months, did not add any yeast at bottling and it carbed right up, it was a 10% beer too.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:03 PM   #14
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 591 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboy
...I recently got BeerSmith (love it) and brewed the Praire Oatmeal Stout recipe in "Sample Recipes"
...BeerSmith said 4 days primary, 7 days secondary, 4 weeks bottle.
The processes in those sample recipes should be viewed as a “template”. Your own experience will dictate your specific methods.

Do what feels right for your individual beer and then make those notes in BeerSmith. Remember, it’s a program to help you develop and track recipes rather than a database of recipes.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:13 PM   #15
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My 2 cents

I agree that bulk conditioning results in a better/cleaner beer.

I don't add extra yeast at bottling but then have to wait longer for them to carbonate appropriately. As I'm aging them longer anyways I don't care.

If you have a deadline to meet you could split the difference and bulk condition for 4-6 weeks and then bottle without adding extra yeast. This way you would likely get most of the benefits of bulk conditioning, not have to add more yeast and have them carbonate within 2-3 weeks.

GT

Old 10-30-2007, 04:13 PM   #16
BrewDey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm starting to think that a long primary followed by a long bottle-conditioning period is the way to go. Besides the fact that less racking=less chance for contamination...it seems that if you bottle (regardless of how long it had been bulk-conditioned), you still need to wait long enough for the bottle fermentation/carbonation, as well as the subsequent 'cleaning up' process.

On a recent old ale, it had been in the secondary for about a month or so. Most all of the yeast had dropped out, so it took another 6-7 weeks just to get carbonated. It just seems like with that same amount of time I could have avoided the racking process.

Quick Reply