Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Bulk aging or bottle aging for big beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 02:47 AM   #1
Frost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Bulk aging or bottle aging for big beers

I've got a belgian abby that is going to come in around 10% ABV. I plan on aging it for around 8-9 months before trying it. Should I bottle it around 2 months and age it in the bottle or should I age it in the secondary for 6-7 months before bottling? Or does it matter? Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

bottle it. Just my 2 cents. The risk with bulk aging it is that the yeast will go dormant and you will have to re-pitch in order to bottle carbonate.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You can bulk age in secondary for a couple of months without the need/worry about re-pitching.

I would bulk for a couple months in secondary so the flavors sort of marry each other together in a larger volume, then bottle it and condition for several more months.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I would definitely bulk age it for a few months (3-4 if it were me) and then bottle and age for another few months.

I bulk aged my Wee Heavy (1.089 OG) for 6 months and had no trouble getting it to carb up in the bottle.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 11-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
Frost
Recipes 

That's kinda what I was thinking too. I didn't want to have to re-pitch the yeast. Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply